Quantcast

Rotax 850 E-TEC Turbo on a plane?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Cass256

HBA Supporter
I was talking with some friends about putting turbochargers on a two stroke, and I came across a snowmobile released this year powered by this - The Rotax 850 E-TEC Turbo.
Now this looks like an awesome option for some high DA airstrips, being able to keep 160+hp at 6000ft is pretty impressive.
Do you guys think it'd be feasible to mount one on an experimental? You'd need a reduction gear or belt drive to run a prop, but 160hp at 42kg is an astonishing amount of power.

n3puppy

It is an interesting engine.
Turbo wastegate is programmed with variable boost - maintain 165hp at any altitude up to 8000ft.
First Impressions: Ski-Doo Summit 850 E-TEC Turbo

8000 rpm is a tad high for our use.(durability?) Wonder what the power output would be if you retuned everything for 5500-6000. (Or lower)

Guessing in the low 100's but turbo could maintain that at altitude.

Last edited:

Cass256

HBA Supporter
It is an interesting engine.
Turbo wastegate is programmed with variable boost - maintain 165hp at any altitude up to 8000ft.
First Impressions: Ski-Doo Summit 850 E-TEC Turbo

8000 rpm is a tad high for our use.(durability?) Wonder what the power output would be if you retuned everything for 5500-6000. (Or lower)

Guessing in the low 100's but turbo could maintain that at altitude.
That was my thought too, though re-tuning for a lower continuous RPM would probably increase its' longevity as well.
At 42kg, even low 100s would be more than enough hp. The Jabiru 2200 weighs in at almost 63kg for 85hp, and that's one of the top choices for small kitplanes.