• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Rotax 582 Runout

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bmonzingo

Good evening everyone, this is my first post.

I recently acquired a nicely rebuilt blue head 582. Original hours on the engine were less than 40
I have installed and flew the engine. I have a GPL starter assembly installed.

Out flying today and about to land when I felt a thump, engine missed for a split second along with the thump, engine didn't feel exactly right so I took her home. Got on the ground and let it idle. Seemed a little rough so I shut it down. I couldn't find any obvious issues on visual inspection so I went to fire it up and head back to the hangar. Starter would not engage.

Went back to look again and the drain hole on the bottom of the mag end revealed a displaced ring gear.

Walked her back to the hangar, took the starter assembly off and found that the nut securing the flywheel to the crank had come lose and appeared to have lodged in between something and the ring gear, shearing the three bolts that held the ring gear to the flywheel.

I didn't check the torque on this nut after receipt of the engine.

The engine running rough could have been the parts jingling around inside the starter housing.

The question in all of this is after I put this all back together with new ring gear and bolts will I have a bent crank in anyone's opinion? What's the easiest way to check the runout on the mag side? Should I also check the PTO side runout while I am at it?

I am a little upset that this new rebuild only has about an hour on it and I've ran into this issue after being grounded for over 6 months.

Thanks for your opinions and help.

Back