• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Rotax 503 throttle problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keithkrum

So I was really hoping to do some taxi testing today on my Phantom with the new pitot/static system being recently completed. However, after I started the engine and climbed in, while it had been idling normally, the engine inexplicably increased in rpm. I checked the throttle, thinking I had bumped it, but it was full back at idle. I cycled the throttle to see if the cable was moving freely, which it was, and the engine went to full throttle and stayed there. After shutting down, quickly, I removed the airbreather to look for obstructions and found none. So being somewhat unfamiliar with these engines, is this a normal piston position for the throttle on a 503 with a Bing 54 carb at idle? This seems to be as low as the piston can travel. I'm more than a little confused on this. The only other thing I can think of is if the boot attachment to the engine has a significant air leak in it. Any other ideas?

Attachments

• 20220824_093701.jpg
    20220824_093701.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Back