ROTAX 503 interchange with snow mobile 583??

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

mcracer16

I am looking to make my golf cart, electric start ( instead of pull ) I am putting a Rotax 583 2 cycle water cooled engine on it. I have found a complete starter set for sale but it is off a 503 aircraft. Will the parts interchange and spin in the right direction? Thanks Tom

mcracer16

I'm doing!! Not dreaming !! You are as old as you let yourself believe. It beats TV just need some help with the correct parts.

tinkerdad

The Rotax parts catalogue shows the same direction of rotation and the same starter motor for the 447, 503, 582 and 618 aircraft engines. Seems like a pretty safe bet they would be the same for the 583.
All of the above engines rotate CCW as seen from the PTO, (gearbox) end. The part number for the starter for these engines is 995430. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

pylon500

Supporting Member
Not sure what fellow golfers are going to think of the noise a 582 (any 2 stroke really) is going to make around the course, unless this is one of those 'we race anything with a motor in it' type scenarios?
But yes, the Rotax 2 stroke starters are all pretty much interchangeable.

mcracer16

The Rotax parts catalogue shows the same direction of rotation and the same starter motor for the 447, 503, 582 and 618 aircraft engines. Seems like a pretty safe bet they would be the same for the 583.
All of the above engines rotate CCW as seen from the PTO, (gearbox) end. The part number for the starter for these engines is 995430. Hope this helps.
Thank you this helps a great deal. I am a little more confident to make the purchase to convert the 583. Regards Tom

mcracer16

Not sure what fellow golfers are going to think of the noise a 582 (any 2 stroke really) is going to make around the course, unless this is one of those 'we race anything with a motor in it' type scenarios?
But yes, the Rotax 2 stroke starters are all pretty much interchangeable.
I am not much into golf, I am doing it because a guy said he had the fastest golf cart in central Florida, we will see about that in short order, I am hoping the trans/rear will hold up!! Take care Tom

stevel

If the 583 doesn't have a hydraulic damper sandwiched between the recoil starter and the magneto flywheel, everything will bolt right up. If it does have a damper, you need to swap out the aluminum spacer for a slightly different one. That part number is 852-378.

mcracer16

If the 583 doesn't have a hydraulic damper sandwiched between the recoil starter and the magneto flywheel, everything will bolt right up. If it does have a damper, you need to swap out the aluminum spacer for a slightly different one. That part number is 852-378.
thank you great information. Thanks for taking the time to help. Regards Tom