• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Rotax 447 fan belt alternatives

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay Dub

I overhauled my 447 engine that I'll be installing in my Kolb Firestar. The engine only had 12 hours on it but it was past time to put new seals and gaskets in it and while I had it apart I put ceramic coated pistons in it too.

The cooling fan belt is dated 1/90 so I need to replace that. It is made by Semperit, 10x590 and since most of my casting dates on engine parts are 89 or 90 this has to be the OEM on mine, not the Mistuboshi. I see LEAF (Leading Edge Airfoils) says, "Mitsuboshi belts are no longer available from Rotax. This equivalent is a perfect fit and produced by BRP" but it's $40 for a simple belt. Some of the other Rotax aviation places also show it to be 10X6X610 not 590 but mine is clearly marked 10x590.

I tried a Gates XL7240 but it was a bit too tight with all 5 spacers installed between the sheaves. I then bought the OEM BRP belt for Skidoo 377, 440, and 503s which is Skidoo part number 414 630 800, but it is too loose with no spacers. So I know the BRP belt I bought is the wrong one.

Does anyone know what BRP part number LEAF is selling for more than double the BRP Skidoo MSRP price?

Does anyone know which Gates, Goodyear, Autozone, or Dayco fits? I'm thinking the Dayco 15240 or 15245 might fit.

According to 10X590,BOMBARDIER 10X590; Accessory Drive Belt even the 7240 Gates I had should have fit. In that list they show the Bombardier 10x610mm as a replacement. I just don't know what part number that would be or what model skidoo came with that belt.

For years I've ridden BMW motorcycles and there is a list of "alternative parts" you can get at any autoparts store instead of buying the BMW branded OEM. For example, the oil filter for my bike happens to be the exact same one my Toyota Sienna uses. The fuel pump shares the same Bosch pump a VW Passat uses. The alternator belt for my bike is the same one a Kia uses for the PS pump. It would be neat to see an alternative list for Rotax parts since BRP made skidoo engines that share some of the same parts.

Wanna know the cheapest thing on a BMW motorcycle? The rider!

Last edited:
Back