Rotax 1000SDI

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

j_budz

Anyone use one of these in an ultralight? I want to build an ultralight trike using my sled engine, Im thinking with 175hp it should be plenty enough. I also read on another site that the big 900-1000cc engines are good to use since they produce lots of power at a lower rpm? So anyways, just looking for opinions and thoughts on using such a large engine, Im thinking the downside would be trying to cool it enough, would need a good sized radiator for it.....

j_budz

Here's an online pic of the engine:
995SDI_xl.jpg

Unfortunately I can't find specs on it online, and mine is still in my sled for this winter :) But in the spring I should be pulling it out and I can get dimensions/weight
and everything. Apparently it has a maxumum RPM of 7900.

Starman

Wow, that looks nice. Is that the 1000cc one? I thought all the 900-1000cc units were three cylinders.

Also, maybe I misread your first post. Were you saying that ta stock 1000cc engine puts out 175hp?

Also, 175hp is way too much for a USA ultralight, you could hit the legal speed limit going straight up.

Will Aldridge

Well if you de-rate the thing to about half of it's max output you'd have about 85 hp might be a little more reliable that way. Still a lot for a ultralight though.

I have been dreaming and scheming about building a quickie Q1. One of the main turnoffs is the teeny engine, looking through Rotax's website has me scheming about ways to convert one of their engines so I could get 30-40 hp and fix that little problem.

addaon

Supporting Member
When I dream about a Q1, this is the engine I always imagine using, at 26 hp. This is probably a better fit, at 32 hp (or reduced rpm, obviously), but is still a generation behind. The four strokes get more power, but the whole point of the Quickie is that you can get away without it.

Starman

Well if you de-rate the thing to about half of it's max output you'd have about 85 hp might be a little more reliable that way. Still a lot for a ultralight though.

So, THAT engine in the picture is a 1000cc engine and it is 175 max? If so I'm impressed because it looks so compact. Even if it is good for 90 hp continuous that's still good. Any idea what one of those weighs?

Will Aldridge

When I dream about a Q1, this is the engine I always imagine using, at 26 hp. This is probably a better fit, at 32 hp (or reduced rpm, obviously), but is still a generation behind. The four strokes get more power, but the whole point of the Quickie is that you can get away without it.

Well I weigh 210 (upper limit of pilot allowable weight) and live at 4500msl where the temps in the summer go to about 100 deg so density altitude goes pretty high sometimes( and there are a lot of mountains nearby). The biggest complaint about the quickie has been that it was way underpowered when heavily loaded at high density altitude, 2 conditions I'm guaranteed to combine frequently. So if I were to build one I would want at least 10 more hp.

Starman,

I looked that engine up on the Rotax site and yes according to them it really does put out 175 hp on 1000cc's.

Jay Kempf

Curmudgeon in Training (CIT)
Supporting Member
Wow, that looks nice. Is that the 1000cc one? I thought all the 900-1000cc units were three cylinders.

Also, maybe I misread your first post. Were you saying that ta stock 1000cc engine puts out 175hp?

Also, 175hp is way too much for a USA ultralight, you could hit the legal speed limit going straight up.

I have been trying to find real specs on the engine. It seems to be 88mm x 83mm and an honest 163 HP at 7900. So it is like half of the V4 I was looking at in size. I am very curious about the weight, it does not appear to be a turbo. This could be quite an engine using the snowmobiles clutch and most of it's belt drive as a basis for a 2:1 reduction. The sled itself weighs under 600 Lbs so it can't be a 200 LB engine all up and it is oil injected and direct injection. Those are all good specs. Rotax is claiming that this engine is much better than a standard carbed 2 stroke on fuel.

Richard6

From the 2005 Snow Gower online magazine,
Sneak Peek: The 2005 Ski-Doos

High Horsepower

The new 998cc engine is similar to other SDI designs. It has two injectors per cylinder that inject fuel into the transfer ports. The engine is outfitted with eRAVE, which controls the primary and secondary exhaust ports. Instead of exhaust or crankcase pressure raising and lowering the exhaust valves, a stepper motor does the job.

Because of the large pistons, the 1000 mill has two balancing gears that run off the crankshaft. They help reduce engine vibration. The engine is also outfitted with a knock sensor and a host of other sensors.

I'm not sure you would want to use this engine in an aircraft. Each cylinder displaces about 500cc. This thing has to run rougher than a cob.

Richard

PTAirco

From the 2005 Snow Gower online magazine,
Sneak Peek: The 2005 Ski-Doos

I'm not sure you would want to use this engine in an aircraft. Each cylinder displaces about 500cc. This thing has to run rougher than a cob.

Richard

"Because of the large pistons, the 1000 mill has two balancing gears that run off the crankshaft. They help reduce engine vibration."

From their website.

Even I am starting to find this engine rather interesting; whatever the actual weight, its power to weigh ratio, even when married to a gearbox has to be outstanding. What's more, there is finally a spark ignition two stroke which injects its fuel only after the exhaust ports are closed, eliminating most of the traditional objections. I am wondering how adaptable it would be to one of the Rotax gearboxes.

j_budz

It's a naturally aspirated engine, and yes it sips both fuel and oil. I was thinking if I could throw some larger gears in it to gear it down it would be alot more suitable for an ultralight, although it would still have TONS of torque..... As for vibration, it does shake a bit when idling but not any worse than any other snowmobile engine once it gets going.

Air Trikes

I hope we can help. I have good news. We improved SPG gearboxes recently. The internal parts were redesigned, splined gear-shaft couplers used instead of tapered ones. Better heat treatment and finish. Look at the pictures. They will be really better. I expect my orders assembled and sent during this month or beginning of October.

Attachments

• splines.jpg
    splines.jpg
    359.6 KB · Views: 1
  • splines3.jpg
    splines3.jpg
    354.1 KB · Views: 1
  • splines1.jpg
    splines1.jpg
    232.8 KB · Views: 1
  • Splines2.jpg
    Splines2.jpg