Rocket man flight

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

BJC

HBA Supporter
Is it a fact that he designed and built the rocket / parachute system with no input from knowledgable people?

BJC

BJC

HBA Supporter
Is it a fact that he designed and built the rocket / parachute system with no input from knowledgable people?

BJC

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
Probably needed an airworthiness certificate. And pilot certificate, I suppose. (single engine rocket class rating)
The FAA may not want to ask if no procedure to issue is available. He might have had a test permit or something.

pictsidhe

My mouth fell open when the same tattered and inadequate chute opened on the 2nd flight. I thought he'd had a near disaster when it opened on the first flight. But to use it again strikes me as reckless. Maybe it was even packed like that for the first flight?
He's giving us crackpots a bad image.

proppastie

Log Member
I wounder if he had an experimental airworthiness certificate or N number? Went too fast to be 103 legal.

MikePousson

Evel Kenevil was unconscious before his steam driven rocket bike was off the launch ramp and luckily had a dead man release for the parachute in his limp hand to release the parachute. The amount of g forces immediately must be incredible using steam release as a launch propellant. This guy must have had some kind of pressurized suit to stay conscious during liftoff. I never did see how high he went. He was **** near vertical and landed within 1500 feet of takeoff, and kenevil was at a 45° angle to cross a canyon. That may have something to do with launch velocity. I don’t no crap about that stuff.

Turd Ferguson

It appears this is the second time Mad Mike has flown in a homemade rocket that he built. In January 2014, he rocketed to 1,300 feet above Winkleman, Arizona before landing and collapsing. He took three days to recover. Apparently very little coverage the first time so he came up with an attention grabbing headline for the second launch.

Turd Ferguson

I wounder if he had an experimental airworthiness certificate or N number? Went too fast to be 103 legal.
The FAA had to give permission for this specific launch window so I would guess he was using rules for Class II rocket and the FAA waivered the unmanned portion.

Tiger Tim

I think it's largely a show. Looking at his history it appears he's only become anti-science/pro-flat Earth since discovering that those people did a lot more for his GoFundMe account.

larr

From what I know Tim is right. The 'Flat Earth' angle was just to get funding.
TELEMMGLPICT000158696852_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqEDjTm7JpzhSGR1_8ApEWQA1vLvhkMtVb21dMmpQBfEs.jpg
Basically, it's an extremely primitive contraption. The fins are fixed, there is no ability to alter trajectory. It's a steam rocket (not HTP) so it's explosion proof and simple. No turbopumps, combustion or fuel of any kind. Just a big tank of super heated water.
I suppose the only controls in the cockpit are on/off for the water tank/nozzle and chute deployment.

The supposed goal of 56 miles altitude is a complete fantasy - there is no way to scale this up.
It would be faster and safer to wait for Virgin Galactic to get it's act together (if it can). It's supposed to reach 60 miles altitude, so he'd get an even better view.

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
I bet it is the lightest manned rocket ever launched vertically in the U.S. Germany may have done something smaller.
Looks like an impressive payload ratio.

proppastie

Log Member
I keep thinking about a steam power launched glider.....buy a 110V hot water heater element plug it in for 30 min. ......wounder if it would be possible to make it a reasonable small thrust. I have read the water/steam is very abrasive.... diamond nozzle ?

Aesquire

Look up boiler explosion. See also steam tractor explosion. Or just explosion. I can't recommend this approach for your home built.

Pt103 says nothing about climb rate. Doubt he hit the weight limit.