Rocket 3 engine?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Sonny Furman

I just posted my 2005 Rocket lll engine on ebay. It was slated for my experimental project (SE5a) but open heart surgery has now rsulted in loss of my medical so decided to liquidate my projects at age 74. The engine has only 17k and gone through very thoroughly and complete to the smallest detail. I sold the custom reduction drive I designed and built but can offer assistance in that area. Engine has been test run and is emaculate. Posting shows $2,500 for all and have over $3500 invested plus my work.
Sonny Furman, Colonel, USAF ret.

Attachments

Aviacs

I just posted my 2005 Rocket lll engine on ebay.
Sorry - stopped watching this to follow the good links & info some provided. And ignore the speculation. :)

Very sorry to hear about your medical.
Lost mine in the prime of flying time over 11 years ago/age 57, bogus issues, had to give up share in Arrow i was transitioning.
Took over 5 years to get straight with FAA, another 5 to really start to get back into flying. Per your situation, ret. AF maj. gen. friend lost his a bit later - i didn't even realize that could happen.

Cannot find listing on eBay - did you sell the engine?
Understand it was rebuilt? It looks like not much was done to it to convert to AC use - no chopped cases, etc?
Did you determine a likely weight, if fully converted? All essential parts less external coolant system and exhaust?
What type of drive did you consider? Indication is that drive was at least partially built - how much did that weigh?

For the time being, hangar spot finally opened up & i moved my Sonerai 2 in last Sunday. Maybe prudent to leave existing 2276VW until US AW is attained. If weight can be made to work, though, the Triumph option will continue to be interesting.

Thanks for any data points.

smt

Sonny Furman

Thanks for the reply. Yes, the engine is still on Ebay and not certain why you were unable to find it. Likely listed in the bike section. The engine was not rebuilt, but only had 17K when the owner smashed up the front end and was parted out. It is still for sale and iIdid go through the engine thoroughly and it ran great but I did not venture into the idea of scrapping the inards of the trans which would save weight. Turned out also to be heavier than expected, upward of 300 lbs. The reduction gear I built, itself weighed approx. 35 lbs with prop extension and not overly complicated to build but you need a good lathe, mill, and other basic machine tools which I am keeping in the event I get to build another plane should the FAA take pity on a guy with 5000 hrs in C-130E's but the bastards are pure bureacrats. Should you actually be interested in the engine you can reach me at; (941) 916 8054 Regards, Sonny

Aviacs

Don't know why your engine did not come up in previous searches, but found it today.
Lot of value there- yours is the only listed unit with "everything" still attached - starter, injectors, ignition modules, etc.
Posting a direct link in case you can find a sale here.

That said, having finally moved my Sonerai 2 from neighbor's barn to a clean work space in our EAA hangar just a week ago, my focus needs to be on getting a USA AW certificate, preferably in the amateur built category. So not an immediate alternate engine customer unless an opportunity to steal one occurs. :)

Engine sounds heavy, but not unworkable.
Good bet close to 100 lbs could be removed.
Given compact shape, it would seem CG (of AC) would not be a problem to adjust with extension of the engine mounting framework & location of the cooling components.

Per your note, I have a full manual machine shop including duplicates of most of the common machines.
& a few uncommon machines like (metalworking) shaper and planer that still get used.

Absolute best of luck with your medical!
Another septuagenarian in our chapter recently got his medical back after open heart surgery, can be done. In many cases the best asset is a fearless medical proponent who can make the FAA understand that he is looking at & completely understands the (cured) patient's situation. Otherwise no matter how many tests you pass, they (FAA) just keep sending those interminable "information provided has been reviewed. More information required to make a determination" letters. Then go basic med while you have it, unless you need to fly out of the country.

smt