Roadable Aircraft DESIGN

Discussion in 'Aircraft Design / Aerodynamics / New Technology' started by WonderousMountain, Jan 23, 2012.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sep 24, 2013 #1621

WonderousMountain

WonderousMountain

WonderousMountain

I wonder if the same effect could be had with an oscillating slot, rather than separate wing surface?

2. Sep 24, 2013 #1622

Holden

Holden

Holden

Banned

Ok, this concept somehow makes for smaller wings, I assume, by making the flow dynamic in the local area and by maintaining attached flow for higher Cls.

Yes, I agree that higher Cls reduce the size of wings and that a roadable design that does not focus on reducing wing area while maintaining low landing speeds will not be successful.

3. Sep 24, 2013 #1623

delta

delta

delta

Interesting ebay listing this morning. Northrop was interested in a roadable cargo carrier back in the 60's. http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Airplane-Concept-Prototype-Desk-Model-Northrup-Amphibious-US-Army-1960-Rare-/00/s/ODY4WDE2MDA=/z/JFMAAOxyAs9SOMLP/$(KGrHqVHJE!FIiUDcJGHBSOMLPidU!~~60_57.JPG?rt=nc
    eBay item number:

181219424737 [​IMG]

bmcj likes this.
  4. Sep 25, 2013 #1624

Aircar

Aircar

Aircar

Banned

Interesting model --like to see a couple of other views for more idea of configuration and what the history was . There might be a whole unknown project behind this (the UK had 'project prodigal' to come up with a sort of jumping jeep to clear ditches or rivers, walls etc that stopped only wheeled vehicles --very short airborne range only being required )

Just came across a photo and reference to Taras Kiceniuk Jr proposing a roadable (model shown - tandem wings ) --he was one of the real pioneers of the hang gliding and ultralight boom in the early 70s --maybe somebody knows more about it .

The Fanwing looks to me to be just about UNroadable simply due to the inherent bulk of the spanwise cylindrical fan and fixed 'fairing' involved -- such devices are of technical interest but no practical use because of the mismatch (the bulky ducted fans on Moller's "Skycar" are similarly incapable of being folded or stowed away and are again inappropriate for the task )

5. Sep 25, 2013 #1625

Holden

Holden

Holden

Banned

This article, Aircar? Tehachapi 2013 scroll down.

What about it do you like?

6. Sep 25, 2013 #1626

WonderousMountain

WonderousMountain

WonderousMountain

CG centered, tadpole, wing fold practical, duel fans for redundancy. Not bad for a Roadable concept. Tandem wings have large CG range capability.

7. Sep 25, 2013 #1627

henryk

henryk

henryk

+possibility to change wings geometry=romboidal for cruise!

http://aerosamara.com/idea/2/

=SWIFT-like...

BTW=time for close/open wings=ONLY 10 second !!!

Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
  8. Sep 25, 2013 #1628

delta

delta

delta

Here's the link to the auction. Click on "see original listing" as the auction is now over. Airplane Concept Prototype Desk Model Northrup Amphibious US Army 1960 RARE | eBay

9. Sep 27, 2013 #1629

jtrealty

jtrealty

jtrealty

If you can figure out what to do about the wings you could have a flying Winabago! I suspect as soon as you start crunching hard #'s you would see it is impractical. What's up with that fabric canopy? That makes no sense at all in the flying configuration.
    David Teitelbaum

10. Sep 27, 2013 #1630

Aircar

Aircar

Aircar

Banned

Thanks Delta - it looks a bit nose heavy and quite boxy but nothing I recognize . Wonder if it was intended to be roadable (the duct at the rear overhang a fair way --wings might stow on top )

11. Sep 27, 2013 #1631

delta

delta

delta

I"m sure it was meant to "do it all". Maybe the CG and the amazing lack of power is what killed its progress.

12. Sep 29, 2013 #1632

Topaz

Topaz

Topaz

Super Moderator Staff Member

Moderator Note: At 1,631 posts (plus this one) and well over a hundred pages, this thread has gotten to be so long and wandering that I think the best thing to do is close it down and leave it as a reference on this topic. We can hardly expect new posters to read through the whole thing before they make a post :shock:, and the fact that material is duplicated in the thread several times shows that's already happening.

The "Summary" thread on the same topic would be a good place for those involved to - as the OP there suggests - summarize their viewpoints and move the discussion forward in that thread.

Any time you want to reference this thread, it will be here. You can reference (link) to either the entire thread or an individual post. If you need help with that, either post the question in the Technical Problems section or contact one of the moderators.

Thread Closed.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
    Holden and Brian Clayton like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.