• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Rivets - simple misunderstanding or misled by liars?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdj

Supporting Member
So, most of the solid rivets we use are AN426 or AN470. Here's one carried by Aircraft Spruce: AN470AD-4-2, specified as 1/8" diameter x 1/8" length which seems to match the AN decoder ring.

Now, pretty much every experimental aircraft site I visit states that the 'exposed tail' of the rivet (ie the amount sticking out the backside of two sheets of aluminum) should be 1.5 times the rivet diameter, which my calculator tells me is 0.188" for a 1/8" diameter rivet. My calculator also tells me that getting 0.188" of 'exposed tail' from a rivet only 0.125" long requires magical aluminum sheets with a thickness less than zero (-0.063" to be exact). Even more trustworthy sources than the EAA and HomebuiltHELP such as Hanson Rivet specify a 'clinch allowance' (which seems to be the same as 'exposed tail') of 0.125". That at least drops the magical sheets down to zero width sheets.

Am I misunderstanding something (probably), or is this 1.5X number just a bald-faced lie pulled out of thin air, and the truth is far more complicated? Or is Aircraft Spruce stocking rivets that no one can ever possibly use?

Bob

Back