• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBuiltAirplanes and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Parts For Sale Rivets and rivet gun

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Derswede

A friend came by yesterday and mentioned that he is cleaning out an estate. Guy worked for Piedmont for many years. Said he has a bunch of rivets, rivet gun, and bucking bars. He is going to get it to me and let me know what he wants for it. He said about 10-15 lbs of rivets.

Another item will be several thousand Clecos and cleco guns. Will post more info when I get the details. I don't want this stuff in my warehouse, already trying to sell my Hawk! There will be several other interesting items coming up which I will post as I get info on them. The late owner was one of the master mechanics at Piedmont Aviation Services, so there will be several other items coming up. One that just sold was a jack system to open and hold up the cowlings on a 737! Will post what I find. All is located in central North Carolina.

Andrew (AKA Derswede)

Victor Bravo

Supporting Member
Our EAA chapter Zenith build program will give you a very hearty handshake, sincere thanks, and a rather lucrative tax deduction for all the copper and black Clecos (1/8 and 5/32). Imagine taking the same money that you'd be losing to the common-core wokesters and gub-mint IRS people anyway... instead being given to creating new airplane builders, pilots, mechanics, etc.

rv7charlie

Supporting Member
RV7,
What is a clock gun??

-Yellowhammer
You don't own a transmogrifier? They've been around since at least 1656. My Samsung S8+ comes standard with one. It often will work in the background, invisible to the user, whipping into action only after the user hits 'send' on a document.

Derswede

The gentleman came by today. Sorry, no transmogrifier in the group. Lots of rivets, and some AN hardware is in the collection. The widow had a guy trying to buy all her husband's stuff for a couple of hundred, typical "flea market" guy. She called my friend to help her. There are a bunch of new rivets, cowl locks, and AN bolts in this group. Take a look at the attached. She is just wanting it to go do someone who can use it. I can break it down if necessary, but would prefer to load all of it into a high bidder's truck, wave goodby and give the widow some $$. Disclosure, I am getting safety wire and AN hardware out of the deal.

Derswede

Attachments

• rivetboxbig.jpg
    rivetboxbig.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 28
  • rivetboxbottomclose.jpg
    rivetboxbottomclose.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 28
  • rivetboxtop1.jpg
    rivetboxtop1.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 27
  • rivetbox bottom1.jpg
    rivetbox bottom1.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 28
  • rivetgun buckignbars.jpg
    rivetgun buckignbars.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 32
  • rivetgunhammers.jpg
    rivetgunhammers.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 32

Victor Bravo

Supporting Member
Bring them to meeee.... all of them...

https%3A%2F%2Fdorksideoftheforce.com%2Ffiles%2F2020%2F10%2Fpalpatine_RotS-850x435.jpg

Derswede

OK, now I am worried.........! Will get the whole group and let you know. If anyone wants a more detailed shot of any of the rivet packs, let me know.

Derswede

Derswede

Still awaiting more stuff. Did find an interesting RPM gauge in the mix...see attached. Lockheed.

Attachments

• RPM gauge.jpg
    RPM gauge.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 10
  • RPMCONN.jpg
    RPMCONN.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 11

Yellowhammer

Supporting Member
Born In Alabama, reside: Louisiana (unfortunately)
Still awaiting more stuff. Did find an interesting RPM gauge in the mix...see attached. Lockheed.

D,

That's an RPM for a turbo prop or jet engine. The N1 N2 is the what lets me know that.

Thanks for posting the pictures. I do not own any metal working equipment such as a Revit gun etc. I am currently building an CRF Kit but my next build will without a doubt be an aluminum airframe. So I need to buy the equipment at some point. I may not be able to afford all the items in a bulk purchase however.

Thanks,
Yellowhammer

rv7charlie

Supporting Member
Is the rivet gun a 3X or 4X? It kinda looks from the pic like it's a 4X, which is overkill for most chores on small airframes like ours. Brand? Does it work well and consistently?

Unfortunately, the stuff shown in post #8 probably wouldn't bring a lot more than a couple hundred $, unless from someone like Yellowhammer who's starting from zero on metal working tools. Problem is that the hardware would be nice to have on hand, but has no value until its actually needed, and the need may never arise for most of the stuff. The riveting tools are potentially a bit more useful, but one can't know the condition of the rivet sets or the gun (commercial use can wear both to the point that they're no longer optimum) without handling them, and those of us that already have riveting equipment would almost certainly be duplicating a lot of items we already own.

Not quite as big a problem with the clecos, but they can wear out and/or get operationally funky in other ways, like corrosion. The rust on the face of the bucking bars seems to say that the tools haven't seen use in quite a while. With the bars, you can 'buff that out', but the clecos & gun(s) might be a different story.

If Yellowhammer passes (and it's a 3X gun in good working order), shoot me a message. I don't need a lot more clecos; maybe you can work something out between VB & me.

Charlie

Victor Bravo

Supporting Member
As mentioned, my EAA chapter operates a new airplane building program for young people, and we're building the Zenith 750 Cruzer as a nominal standard project.

We will eventually grow this program into two or three groups (cohorts) building wings, fuselages, etc. at one time... so having two thousand Clecos and Cleco guns and strap duplicators and toggle clamps and deburring tools and what-not will work out just fine.

We need approximately 70% black 5/32" Clecos, 20%, 1/8" copper Clecos, and 10% 3/32" silver Clecos. Got plenty of cleco pliers, but air Cleco guns are of course welcome.

2X rivet guns would be reasonably welcome because eventually we will build the spars, but the first couple of airplanes will use the factory pre-fab spars.

Yellowhammer

Supporting Member
Born In Alabama, reside: Louisiana (unfortunately)
As mentioned, my EAA chapter operates a new airplane building program for young people, and we're building the Zenith 750 Cruzer as a nominal standard project.

We will eventually grow this program into two or three groups (cohorts) building wings, fuselages, etc. at one time... so having two thousand Clecos and Cleco guns and strap duplicators and toggle clamps and deburring tools and what-not will work out just fine.

We need approximately 70% black 5/32" Clecos, 20%, 1/8" copper Clecos, and 10% 3/32" silver Clecos. Got plenty of cleco pliers, but air Cleco guns are of course welcome.

2X rivet guns would be reasonably welcome because eventually we will build the spars, but the first couple of airplanes will use the factory pre-fab spars.

VB,

Being that I am an educator and value all things related to airplanes and students alike, I will gladly yield to the kids no doubt. I know what it is like trying to obtain items for school with little or no budget.

-YH

Victor Bravo

Supporting Member
I still don't know how much stuff 'swede has available, so there may be enough for everyone. And remember, my slimy, serpentine, evil, Macchiavellian manipulation was to have him donate the stuff for a tax write-off.

If someone else was going to give him thousands of dollars in green Yankee cash, I would certainly not be insulted if he went for the gold.