• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Riveting noise

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Red

I've spent over 100 hours researching different homebuilts, and I've narrowed it down to 3 distinctly different designs: The Aerocomp Comp Air 7, the Zenair CH640, and the RV10. I like the extra size of the Aerocomp but being completely honest about my mission, I probably don't need to be flying around with empty seats even though I really would like to have a 7 seater for the same price as a 4 place (we have 2 kids with no plans for more). This narrows it down to the CH640--slower cruise, shorter assembly time, and uses cherry rivets) or the RV10 (faster, cooler looking, the company has been around forever, but it uses standard rivets).

This is the biggest concern I have at this time--the riveting. I will be doing much of the work between 4:30 AM and 7:00 AM in my garage. Neither my family nor my neighbors (nor myself) want this to be an overly noisy project--will the RV riveting be noisy? For someone like me who has had no "real" riveting experience, how much harder is the riveting and the other steps involved with the RV kit?

Thanks!

--Red

Back