Rivet squeeze tooling

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

PMD

I have a CP-251 squeezer that I picked up many years ago that has been laying in my air tools drawer. Buddy wants to do the cooling baffles on Pa38 and asked to borrow my aviation riveting gear so I agreed - but realized I do not have any tooling for the squeezer. It uses 3/16" shank rivet sets, but the anvils are 1.04" open and 0.090" closed, so not going to work with 1/4" or so of sets in place. I can get those pieces from Aircraft Spruce, in stock in Canada, but what about some kind of spacer to allow them to close on a short rivet????? I guess I could just make some, but can not imagine there not being some place that sells the correct parts.

What's the answer?

Angusnofangus

There are different thickness sets available, but one way to close the gap between the sets is to shim them with washers in order to get the correct squeeze on your rivets. Just make sure to use either steel or stainless washers, AN-960-3's, both thick and thin, work well. Hope this answers your question.

rv7charlie

If you have more money than creativity, this.
If you have a lathe, you might be able to roll your own, but it needs to be dead-nuts-on for centering. Even a few thousands of runout drilling the bolt will cause dimple dies to bind. (Not a big deal if you're just squeezing.)