• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Rivet Smashers Forever

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Metalmaniac

Hello - My name's Richard, and I'm building an RV7A in my garage. I also do airframe structure overhaul for a major airline. I trained to fly in a Cessna 172 several years ago and of course wanted one of my own. The ol' skychicken is a good trainer, but a new one is 180k and that keeps the price of old junkers up there pretty high too.
I researched everything I could find on home-builts before making a decision. This plane will cost me probably close to 40 grand when it's done, so I looked real hard. Van's planes are so popular I started building before I ever got a ride in one. Finally got to Oregon last fall to fly the factory demonstrator and it changed my life. Anyway, this forum looks like it might be a good place to check in- I see lots of good info already, and there's no such thang as too much info. Plus it looks like fun, and that's really what airplanes are all about. I mess with airplanes because I don't know how not to, and I encourage everybody to stop dreaming and start building. It's good for the soul. Airplane builders are good people, even the mis-guided epoxy sniffers. So let's make some aviation!

Back