Quantcast

Rivet size and spacing

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

birdus

I'm going to patch up some fuselage damage. I'm planning on using a 3 1/8" instrument panel punch to eliminate the damaged area (that's just barely big enough, just about perfect), then using a backer, along with plug to fill that hole for aesthetic reasons. To add a backer to non-structural, .032" aluminum, what rivet size and spacing is appropriate?

Thanks,
Jay

Last edited:

proppastie

Log Member
I'm going to patch up some fuselage damage. I'm planning on using a 3 1/8" instrument panel punch to eliminate the damaged area (that's just barely big enough, just about perfect), then using a backer, along with plug to fill that hole for aesthetic reasons. To add a backer to non-structural, .032" aluminum, what rivet size and spacing is appropriate?

Thanks,
Jay
non structural flat head,???? 3/32 you can c'sink .032,...normal spacing 8-10 diameter of the rivet.

TerryM76

HBA Supporter

Thanks,
Jay
Look at designation "G" in the attached page from AC43.13-1B. Since it is non-structural you can use the 3/32" rivets as proppastie is suggesting and "G" will give you a suitable spacing.

Attachments

pfarber

HBA Supporter

Thanks,
Jay
As posted above, you REALLY need to look at the sheetmetal section of AC 43.13 for proper practices for repairs.

I watched a video of a guy assembling an RV-10 kit and he cut an access panel, with 90deg corners. LOL NO. Repairs and rivet spacing etc is all in the 43-13.

Read it, learn it, live it.

proppastie

Log Member
further reading.....whereas backer/filler? middle of the patch is non-structural....the patch may not be if it is stress-skin metal aircraft....43-13-1b is the correct reference.