Quantcast

RIP Richard Collins

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

plncraze

HBA Supporter
Just saw the same headline on Avweb. Goyer's personal experiences were nice to read.

Twodeaddogs

HBA Supporter
I recall reading one Bax article about himself flying with Collins, in a borrowed aircraft, not his usual N10RC, and RC had been having an ongoing spat with air traffic controllers, both via the magazine and in the air and he wasn't shy about having a go at the ATCos if he thought he was getting a shoddy service. Bax was curious to see how the flight would go, in busy controlled airspace, but nothing of note happened and Bax figured that it was because of the unfamiliar registration letters. When he met an ATC friend later and told him about flying with RC, the ATC guy said, "Huh! So it was him! We had the pistol cocked but couldn't find the clip!" Great reading over the years.

Turd Ferguson

I recall reading one Bax article about himself flying with Collins, in a borrowed aircraft, not his usual N10RC, and RC had been having an ongoing spat with air traffic controllers, both via the magazine and in the air and he wasn't shy about having a go at the ATCos if he thought he was getting a shoddy service.
Collins used N40RC for many yrs, when I read about him retiring the P-210 I checked and someone in California had already grabbed the number and has it reserved. I wonder if they know the connection...??

TarDevil

I recall reading one Bax article about himself flying with Collins, in a borrowed aircraft, not his usual N10RC, and RC had been having an ongoing spat with air traffic controllers, both via the magazine and in the air and he wasn't shy about having a go at the ATCos if he thought he was getting a shoddy service. Bax was curious to see how the flight would go, in busy controlled airspace, but nothing of note happened and Bax figured that it was because of the unfamiliar registration letters. When he met an ATC friend later and told him about flying with RC, the ATC guy said, "Huh! So it was him! We had the pistol cocked but couldn't find the clip!" Great reading over the years.
I think I read the same article. Bax was fighting the door handle before they even got in... Richard stopped him, gently saying, "Never force anything on an airplane."
I never saw his P210, but his Cardinal came through the FBO I managed once or twice carrying it's new owner.