• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

RIP Earl Luce

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris In Marshfield

Staff member
Supporting Member
I learned this morning that we lost an amazing aviator and craftsman yesterday. Earl taught me to weld in my very first SportAir Workshop years ago and was a joy to talk to any other time. He inspired many with his Buttercup recreation and his love of flying. He’ll no doubt be missed by many. RIP Earl.

From his daughter:

I don't know where to begin. The most amazing man in the world who I was lucky enough to call Dad went out tonight for one more quick flight in his Buttercup. We have ZERO details other than what we were told which is this: there was a catastrophic accident in the air. The wing of my dad's plane somehow detached, and there was an immediate crash to the ground. One he did not survive. A good friend of his was with him, who also did not survive. We are grieving heavily at this time, but know he had a lot of people who loved him. Please hug your loved ones and hold them tight. My dad never missed a chance for a hug and an "I love you". Once more information is known, I will share.

Back