• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Ridge Runner/SkyRaider bungee gear

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cass256

Supporting Member
Today is a good day. I'm finally about to pick up the last of the re-coated metal parts for the RR3, and it's time to throw it back on its wheels for a while.

I talked to a fellow RR3 builder who put a recovery chute in their plane, and he said the original bungees sagged on the ramp under the empty weight. Apparently Stace made him a replacement with a couple more wrap-arounds on the bungees and it worked perfectly, so I think I'll do the same.

I was planning on doing the loops & cord cut myself, but my simple google skills seem to be failing - I cannot, for the life of me, find out where to buy these metal clamps. "Ferrule" brings it up sometimes, but it seems to be more of a blanket term that covers other bungee ends as well.
bungee what.png
After doing more digging, it seems I can get 3/8in looped end cord online for pretty cheap, in any length too. So I suppose these are my questions;

1: Are these 'ferrule crimps' available somewhere I can't find? (Spruce, local hardware stores, & even Amazon doesn't have em)
2: Is 3/8 the right diameter cord to use, or would it be smarter to use a thicker/thinner cord? I'd use what the manual says, however I think I'm missing pages 2 & 3 in the landing gear section. It lists no specifics about the shock cord at all.
3: Is there anything else to consider when doing more wraps around the arms?

Last edited:
Back