• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBuiltAirplanes and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Parts For Sale Ridge Runner 3 QB kit- East TN - SOLD

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Status
Not open for further replies.

13brv3

HBA Supporter
Greetings,

I have a factory QB kit for a Ridge Runner 3 (3S?) that I've decided not to build. It's been through a few owners with no work being done to the kit. It appears to be fairly complete, and parts are available if needed. It's located at KMMI (Athens TN), and the price is $6000 OBO. Email for more info and pictures.

Rusty

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

WarpedWing

Just curious, why are you not building the RR3? I am building one now and I can say it is not the best kit out there. It is a nice aircraft. It is just the lack of support from the factory that is legendary (read non-existent). Regardless, it is a nice little airplane. My build partner keeps changing his mind about the power plant. Been through several engine purchases and motor mount builds. I hope you can find a buyer.

PiperCruisin

It is just the lack of support from the factory that is legendary (read non-existent).
"factory"... that is funny. No "factory" that I know of. Practically a one-man-show and always has been. Basically very similar to an Avid or Kitfox. Get one of those manuals. Mounting the engine (cg, alignment, steel tube welding) is probably the trickiest part.

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
The RidgeRunner 2 manual is out there, I found it and someone on this site also e-mailed me one.

If you can find a guy named Kelly Quick up in Eastern WA, I am guessing he might be able to find a manual, or he can possibly help in some way, because he developed/modified the RR3 into a custom "Quick-Air" that is very very close to the RR3 or RR4. Under contract with a Rocky Mountain Wings customer, Kelly had built the RR2 kit that I now own. But he had the same difficulty finding "factory" information as I did.

Another very good resource is Troy Woodland of Just Aircraft. He seemed to be a fantastic guy, and was willing to offer as many parts, assistance, etc. as possible. Troy has his hands full nowdays because his products are the hottest thing on the market

But Troy came out of the very same group of airplane enthusiasts as the Schrader Bros, Dan Denney, and several others. The DNA of his airplanes is related, and he has personal experience with the SkyRaider and RidgeRunner.

The root of that entire tree is Dean Wilson, and everything... everything that happened in the Kitfox / SkyRaider / RidgeRunner / Just / Belite / Badlands / EuroFox continuum has its origin in the very very clever mind of Dean Wilson. The other guys all added something of value, and their contributions have been very praise-worthy, but the original configuration and "Commandments" all came from Mr. Wilson.

13brv3

HBA Supporter
Just curious, why are you not building the RR3? I am building one now and I can say it is not the best kit out there. It is a nice aircraft.
I change project like most people change underwear :) I've lost count of the number of projects I've purchased then later decided to sell. I bought it on a whim and a low and slow type plane, then later got interested in gyroplanes again. I'm finishing up a Onex with a 912, so I'll have a fixed wing flying. If no one comes to the "rescue" of the RR3, it may very well become a Little Wing gyroplane.

I have the original manual, but it's not like having a set of actual plans. I've joked that these guys all "acquired" the parts from other planes, and probably never had drawings themselves :)

Rusty (Save the RR3 <g>)

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
The guys who built and perhaps designed the entire family of these airplanes (very first Avid through current production SuperStol) were probably great builders and mechanics, but many or most of them were probably not competent instructional writers. History seems to bear that out :)

Many people who are competent instructional writers are very often not qualified engineers, show quality builders, or 'naturally gifted' mechanics. That's why writers like myself need to beg/borrow/hire qualified engineers, and why responsible kit manufacturers need to have (or hire ) a good instructional writer.

I used to go to the AMA model airplane trade show here in Los Angeles every year, and walk up to all of the model airplane kit manufacturers just about begging them to hire me to write their instruction manuals. The majority of them looked down their nose at me like I was dog ****, offering them something of no quantifiable value. Only a couple of R/C companies saw enough value in a better instruction manual to pay me to write them.

PiperCruisin

The guys who built and perhaps designed the entire family of these airplanes (very first Avid through current production SuperStol) were probably great builders and mechanics, but many or most of them were probably not competent instructional writers.
I know one of the main guys that wrote the builders' manual for the Avid and helped him update the one for the Mark IV while I was a college student. He was an A&P and pretty talented.

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
OK, I'm glad there were some good manuals done somewhere in this family of airplanes. The only ones I have seen with my own eyes are the Ridge Runner and Sky Raider, and IMHO those do leave quite a bit to be desired.

PiperCruisin

OK, I'm glad there were some good manuals done somewhere in this family of airplanes. The only ones I have seen with my own eyes are the Ridge Runner and Sky Raider, and IMHO those do leave quite a bit to be desired.
Not arguing. I have no opinion wrt the Kitfox and Avid manuals. Not surprised if the descendants of those two were lacking. "Step 37 - Connect wings to fuselage. Step 38 - Install engine. Step 39 - Add finishing touches to make pretty. Done."

Status
Not open for further replies.