Richard Bach's Plane Crash Recovery

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
He was flying a Searay amphibian, and clipped power lines.

-Dana

Politicians and diapers have one thing in common. They should both be changed regularly, and for the same reason.

Workhorse

Any time I fly low in a place I don't know I look for powerlines like crazy. If you don't know the place, they are there. You may have the chance to see the poles, but you will never see the lines.

SVSUSteve

Any time I fly low in a place I don't know I look for powerlines like crazy. If you don't know the place, they are there. You may have the chance to see the poles, but you will never see the lines.
Even when I was in ultralights, I tried to stay well above the level where there would be powerlines and avoided low approaches like the plague especially at airports I don't know well. Powerlines along with the unpredictable behavior (and the inherent difficulty in spotting; the myth of ) of birds and other GA pilots are some of the reasons I have developed a strong dislike for low altitude flying.

By the way, I happen to know one of Bach's sons in passing as I spoke to him after this crash. I will see if I can get either him or perhaps his father to join here and comment about the flight, the crash and the recovery.