Rich Wellner, aka rw2, arrives?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

rw2

Yup, it's a homebuilt Maule using some factory jigs and some custom fabricated stuff as well.

The biggest differences are the wings and the engine.

The wings are six feet shorter than factory. 27' instead of 33'. So far, I'm not a big fan. Not seeing a super notable speed improvement, but definitely seeing a much faster approach and rotation speed.

The rotation is taken care of by the engine, which is a BPE Lycoming making 300hp. So while the rotation takes place at a higher speed, the takeoff roll is about the same.

The landing speed still bothers me. I could land my factory Maule at about 45MPH. This one lands at more like 60mph. I'm still very much a newbie with it, but I don't see that speed getting much lower as I get more familiar since the factory Maule was borderline unstallable and this one definitely stalls. So one could get pretty comfortable at low speeds in the factory Maule, but in this one you really have to respect the edges. It does have a AoA, which has been helpful in terms of learning how things feel when approaching a stall.

Victor Bravo

Supporting Member
The VG's would likely take 5 mph off of the approach and landing speed, but you would still be flying around in essentially a Maule that isn't fully comfortable doing what Maules are kinda oughta supposed to do.

Did the builder reduce the thickness or strength of any other structure, or did he simply lop the wing tips off?

I ask because (depending on the answer) you might be able to put some or all of the wingspan back on, whether splicing original wing parts back in or making composite add-on tips that are longer (like the extension tips on many gliders). Did the guy reduce the size of the tail, or anything like that???

HBA Clip-Wing Maule Extension Wingtip.jpg

Last edited:

TFF

I always thought of a clipped Bearhawk turned into a 4 seat Tailwind. Expecting STOL with short wings is missing it from the builder point. Seems like it would be better to take it one way or the other. Wheel pants, fairings, everything smooth. Let’s see 170 kts.

I think the more interesting story is how did it come into being and how did they convince Maule to let them do it?

rw2

Were it me, I might call the Maul factory, and see if I can find a pair old mismatched wings from wrecks.
There is a solid chance that this will happen. If I could figure out how to link my youtube channel into a signature here, I would tell you to "like and subscribe" to see if/when this happens.
I always thought of a clipped Bearhawk turned into a 4 seat Tailwind. Expecting STOL with short wings is missing it from the builder point. Seems like it would be better to take it one way or the other. Wheel pants, fairings, everything smooth. Let’s see 170 kts.

I think the more interesting story is how did it come into being and how did they convince Maule to let them do it?
Combination of things.
1) Builder was a well known entity and multi-time factory Maule owner
2) Maule family is simply generally quite decent and supportive
3) Build was done during the great recession when a lot of businesses were finding creative ways to keep the lights on