RGB# to Paint code??

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Tantrum1

Log Member
Hey all, I'm wondering if there is any way to get an RGB# (Red, Green, Blue) for a specific paint color. I'm in the process of painting some of my exterior components (wing and flight controls are done) but I'm also having some of the aircraft wrapped with a design. I'm trying to match the red of the flight controls to the red I want in the custom wrap. The wrap company did a couple test swatches but none of it was close. They can input an RGB # if they have it. I talked to my paint should and the paint supplier doesn't give the RGB info or have it. I've done some research into the web because it is a factory automotive color. But none of that converts to an RGB #.

Anybody in the know about this kind of thing?
Thanks
Mark

TFF

Never heard of RGB code but it makes sense like an old TV. The wrap people don’t have a color gun like auto or house paint to give it a guess?

Tantrum1

Log Member
Never heard of RGB code but it makes sense like an old TV. The wrap people don’t have a color gun like auto or house paint to give it a guess?
No they dont have a color gun for RGB, but my paint shop does, but its program for their paint system so it just tells them which product to mix to get the end result. It doesn't spit out any RGB ino.

Hephaestus

I fought with this once with powdercoat / paint / wrap...

I think I had to go to pantone as an overall go-between - there was a way to take the paint mix, then get a pantone which you could go back to CMYK and paint mix from...

But I think it required using an actual book at a paint store to do the final referencing; and that was a specialty industrial paint store - not the sherwinn williams down the street.

Hot Wings

Grumpy Cynic
HBA Supporter
Log Member
RGB is just too simple for auto paint other than one layer solid colors. As noted the color guns are set up to use the companies tints which are themselves often blends unique to that particular company.
Although you have already painted some of the parts it might be simpler to do the wrap and then match the auto paint to the wrap?

Tantrum1

Log Member
Although you have already painted some of the parts it might be simpler to do the wrap and then match the auto paint to the wrap?
I get what your saying but the paint color is the color that i want, not the lighter version thats in the wrap. I will look at maybe the CMYK idea mentioned by Hephaestus.
Thanks all!

harrisonaero

Went through this for my son's rowing oars US team colors. At least locally the auto paint store wouldn't match. My suggestion is to go to WalMart and tell them you want the code for the closest house paint they have and let them scan it. Then use this information to convert.

dwalker

I am not sure I would wrap wings or flight controls. Wrap can and will come loose and cause issues in flight. The FAA just issued a warning against it recently.

Tantrum1

Log Member
I am not sure I would wrap wings or flight controls. Wrap can and will come loose and cause issues in flight. The FAA just issued a warning against it recently
Good day, and thanks for your comment, however as mentioned in the original post the wing and flight controls have been painted and its other portions of the aircraft that will be wrapped. However that being said, wrapping the wings are not all that new. I know that a lot of the redbull aircraft as well as some Formula 1 race aircraft (which is what I'm building) have complete wing wraps.

As an update, I was able to order a 700 color swatch book off of amazon that has the RGB # on the swatches, so I'm hoping I can find something in there that is closer to my paint color. More to follow after reviewing the color swatches!
Mark

dwalker

Good day, and thanks for your comment, however as mentioned in the original post the wing and flight controls have been painted and its other portions of the aircraft that will be wrapped. However that being said, wrapping the wings are not all that new. I know that a lot of the redbull aircraft as well as some Formula 1 race aircraft (which is what I'm building) have complete wing wraps.

As an update, I was able to order a 700 color swatch book off of amazon that has the RGB # on the swatches, so I'm hoping I can find something in there that is closer to my paint color. More to follow after reviewing the color swatches!
Mark
I'm pretty positive wrapping the wings is exactly what the FAA had an issue with.

I personally would not wrap an aircraft, but to each his own.

ScaleBirdsScott

Actually reading through the document about the Vinyl Shrink Wrap section, it says "the installation by FAA Field Approval is not acceptable. Only Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Type Certificate (TC), Amended Type Certificate (ATC), and Supplemental Type Certificate (STC) are acceptable for this installation." Which tells me for E-AB it's up to the builder to know what's good.

It then lists a bunch of reasons what risks and issues might come up, and none of them specifically say it's not a good idea to wrap a wing, or exterior surface, only that there are potential risks if its not done with care and knowledge of what can happen if done improperly.

So basically avoid covering up damage, make sure no cutting/scoring happens of the vinyl, make sure that you don't fly in lightning storms or hail that might cause the vinyl to delaminate or catch fire, leave openings for the static ports and fuel, avoid having the vinyl jam up the tolerances on critical flight surfaces, make sure that if it does peel it won't get stuck anywhere important, and generally just don't let some local kit who wraps transit vans and hopped up Nissans do your certified aircraft wrap without awareness of what's underneath that wrap and whether its important.

As for color matching, RGB is just in general a terrible color system to use for anything not on a display screen. Try and work with CMYK or Pantone and you'll have better consistency. If they are asking for RGB there's a very good chance they can also work with those other color systems and what you see on a swatch will more closely resemble what you can get out of a printed or mixed pigment color system in the real world, or if you're very particular they can get very specific spot colors mixed up for their print run though it will be some extra cost.

I've had some luck with this website: Hex Color Codes, Paint Matching and Color Picker for trying to find colors but again since it's all on screens you're really not going to know just how good the color is to any real world analogue even if your monitor is perfectly calibrated, due to the inherent differences of displays vs pigments.

TFF

It’s not a certified plane so wrapping is ok. Part of the issue the FAA has is no STC on a certified plane. People are just using it instead of paint and the FAA has essentially said it has to be official to use it.

Mad MAC

It then lists a bunch of reasons what risks and issues might come up, and none of them specifically say it's not a good idea to wrap a wing, or exterior surface, only that there are potential risks if its not done with care and knowledge of what can happen if done improperly.

So basically avoid covering up damage, make sure no cutting/scoring happens of the vinyl, make sure that you don't fly in lightning storms or hail that might cause the vinyl to delaminate or catch fire, leave openings for the static ports and fuel, avoid having the vinyl jam up the tolerances on critical flight surfaces, make sure that if it does peel it won't get stuck anywhere important, and generally just don't let some local kit who wraps transit vans and hopped up Nissans do your certified aircraft wrap without awareness of what's underneath that wrap and whether its important.
Have had some practical experience with this (commercial product on aircraft), a couple of things missing from the list is speed, and UV. Assuming it is done well, one may still find peeling around the 200 knt mark unless edge sealed (& it will still peel once you get to B737 speeds if edge sealed). The other is UV light causing fading and accelerated breakdown, not a problem unless you spend lots of time high (O2 high).

Aviation Paint often comes with Pantane numbers.