Rex Phelps- Kitfox

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Jman

Site Developer
Rex Phelps sent me this great picture of his Kitfox and a few comments to pass along.

Rex wrote:
It took me nine years to build, but I kept the same wife and raised
three boys during those years. I passed inspection in Dec. of 1999 and
it's first flight was January 1st. 2000 (that's the way to start a new
millennium)!. I've flown it to Oshkosh three times and Kitty Hawk N.C.
once. I now have 275 hours on it. The pod underneath carries quite a bit
of stuff if needed and was an option with the kit.

Rex Phelps
Chapter 13 President
Romeo Michigan
runwayrex@juno.com

Attachments

s10sakota

Hello Rex!

Hi Rex,

I met you at Oshkosh two years ago with Mike Fisher. I'm building the RANS S-10 which if I remember correctly, you were interested in before your 'unpleasant' dealings with you know who!

My S-10 is basically done-I have to bolt the wings on and paint the cowl. I have arrangements to have it in the chapter hangar on April 1. Hopefully it will be ready to fly to Oshkosh and I can meet you and Mike and then we can all fly to Oshkosh 2003.

I like the cargo pod idea!

Take care,

Mark

Last edited:

runwayrex

Rex responds

Hi,
I've got the 80 horsepower 912 under the hood and cruise between 95 and 100 m.p.h. Depending on conditions, it climbs between 1,200 and 1,500 feet per minute. Take off distance is just short of a helicopter. The Warp Drive ground adjustable prop has been great.
I just moved in to a brand new hangar here in Michigan with it. The walls are insulated, there's a large second floor, and I will soon have a furnace and compressor system.
I designed the "radial engine" cowling for the front and made templates. A local lady who knows very little about planes or engines, took my templates and pictures of planes with radials, and airbrushed this on. Her attention to detail was amazing. There are sparkplugs, highlights and shadowing for a three dimentional look.
I now have 275 hours on the plane. I've taken a lot of people up for rides. If you're in my area, give me a hollar.
runwayrex@juno.com

ZENO

Kitfox

The first time I saw one of these was probably close to 20 years ago.

I flipped, the frame and paticularly the smooth push rod controls was so impressive.

I plan on pushrods for at least my ailrerons on my Baby Lakes. Instead of 2 pulleys I'll have one bellcrank.

God, how I love airplanes.