Revolution II / Spacewalker II

Discussion in 'Tube and Fabric' started by Jman, Jul 10, 2004.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Jul 10, 2004 #1

Jman

Jman

Jman

Site Developer

Anyone out there building a Revolution II or a Spacewalker II? Would like to hear your experiences and costs. Is there a support group out there? I found a yahoo group but there does not seem to be much activity. Thanks.

Jake

2. Nov 6, 2005 #2

jetech

jetech

jetech

My Dad and I are building a Sportster, don't expect much support from Warner.

3. Mar 1, 2006 #3

ZENO

ZENO

ZENO

Support

Compared to only a few years ago there seems to be very little support available or builders of tube and fabric airplanes.

Everyone seems to be building RV's or 51% built glass airplanes. It's a shame because there are a bunch of terrific airplane plans in this class.

Land at any airport with your airplanes and you'll draw a bigger crowd than the others.

Good luck with your projects.

ZENO

4. Mar 1, 2006 #4

Craig

Craig

Craig

Rev II/ Spacewalker

Jakey -
    These are rather straightforward airplanes to build - fairly easy if you can master the welding. I inspeced one a few years ago, and liked what I saw. Flew well, also.
    As a confirmed rag and tube or rag and wood builder, I can second Seno's comments - Deuces Wild always draws a crowd! And the building of these type airplanes is a tinkerer's dream!
    BTW - I'm trying to start a small part-time business covering airplanes, so if you know of anyone who needs something covered, point them my way.

5. Mar 1, 2006 #5

wally

wally

wally

your part time business

Craig,
    If you are serious about starting a covering business, you might try a short ad on barnstormers.com Tons of airplane people read that thing every day. There are people out there looking for someone to cover their plane right now!
    Good luck,
    Wally

6. Mar 1, 2006 #6

Craig

Craig

Craig

Thanks

Appreciate it Wally. Need to make a space in the hanger first, I think. Currently have Deuces Wild, a Cessna 152, and a bunch of scrap lumber and a trailer in there! Still room for either a fuselage or wings, I guess!

Craig

7. Dec 5, 2007 #7

sgrocketman

sgrocketman

sgrocketman

The Spacewalker / Revolution aircraft are now supported by Serenity Aviation based in SE Asia. They took over the manufacturing rights from Warner Aerocraft as well as the Australia / New Zealand right from AMAX Engineering of Australia. They also took over the Australian Karatoo manufacturing rights. You'll find their website at www.serenityaviation.com

:ban:

8. Dec 5, 2007 #8

sgrocketman

sgrocketman

sgrocketman

Yes, I'm building a Spacewalker. Haven't finalised the engine for it yet, but I'm really leaning towards a 110 hp Rotec radial. Martin H from Australia is fitting the 150 hp Rotec radial. That thing will climb like a homesick angel. As far as support groups go, the Yahoo groups forum "Spacewalker" is relatively active. Not sure of the exact address, I'll find it and post it here shortly. There's moves afoot to get a Spacewalker club going in the US, and a group starting to get going in Australia.

9. Dec 7, 2007 #9

Mike Armstrong

Mike Armstrong

Mike Armstrong

The Spacewalker is alive and well. Serenity Aviation has enthusiatically taken the reigns of this aircraft and are very supportive. The Spacewalker Yahoo Group is active and it's members are helpful. You'll also find lots of Spacewalker build photos at Spacewalker.org. Nice aircraft with a long flight history.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/spacewalker/

http://spacewalker.org/

Mike

10. Dec 7, 2007 #10

dgeronimos

dgeronimos

dgeronimos

sgrocketman,

Did you put ball bearings in for your ailerons or did you follow the plans?

-Danny

11. Dec 9, 2007 #11

sgrocketman

sgrocketman

sgrocketman

I haven't constructed the ailerons yet, but I'm leaning towards adding a re-inforcing washer tack welded on each side of the hinge arm and bushing the aileron hinge arms. I can email you a sketch if you like.

Early ailerons only used one hinge arm per assembly, later ones used two back to back. The early single hinge point would certainly wear quickly. Theres a comment pertaining to this in the spacewalker.org site (I think).

The ball bearing hinge arms are very good, but I think overly complicated. If the hinge arms aren't in alingment, then you will still end up with binding of the aileron anyway.

I've seen one aileron that had quite a twist in the aileron spar so it would never operate freely anyway (it was still under construction and didn't have the leading edge ply cell attached, so it may have come good once it was clamped down).

12. Dec 10, 2007 #12

dgeronimos

dgeronimos

dgeronimos

Two hinge arms per assembly is what my plans show.

I actually thought about the alignment issue. I was planning on using a 6-7 foot rod to ensure proper alignment. I was more interested in what size/type of bearings people were using.

I have more time to think about it.

-Danny

13. Dec 15, 2007 #13

sgrocketman

sgrocketman

sgrocketman

I think the rod ends that AMAX Engineering proposed (they had the Australian rights for the Spacewalker) used the standard aviation rod end which uses a AN4 bolt (or equivavlent). I'm just trying to look up an Aviall catalogue to see what other sizes there are.Theres only 2400 pages in this catelogue and it doesn't want to play ball.

Actually thinking on this, there is an alternative. The Karatoo (also designed by Jessie Anglin) used a 1/2 x .035 tube, and has a brace tube welded to it. At the end where the hinge bolt will be, a 5/16 x .058 cross tube is welded in. This then has a slot cut into it. The aileron hinge arm then mounts through the slot. If you then put a rod end on the centre hinge arm, because they have a screw threaded mounting, then this could adjust for any misalignment of the hinge arms. Maybe a bit more fiddly to make, but would certainly be robust enough.

As far as alignment goes, a tight piece of lockwire through the outer hinge holes (central of course in these) will certainly give you centre on the middle hinge arm.

It might pay to throw this out to the Spacewalker forum and see what other builders have done.

Neale.