• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Retractable Gear - Design

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveD

I've been thinking about retractable gear, are there any design considerations I have missed?

The vital ones:

1) It should be self-locking (not requiring power) in the lowered position and an indication should be provided to the pilot that the gear is down & locked.

2) It should be fail-safe. Following a loss of power an emergency release should be provided allowing the gear to lower and lock using only gravity and/or aerodynamic drag.

3) The retraction process mustn't cause any severe C of G or Aerodynamic (pitch up/down) problems.

Nice to have?:

1)Inhibit/ground detection switch to prevent retraction when on the ground (or is the weight of the aircraft usually enough to prevent this happening?)

2) Lower/Raise quickly? (how quick do you need to get the gear up in a go-around situation?)

I like the idea of retractable gear, but with a composite cantilever spring type gear leg (oleo's are hard to find/expensive!) has anyone else done this?

Back