Quantcast

Restoring a 1930 Bird Bi-Plane with a Kinner Engine.

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
My neighbor is restoring a 1930 Brunner-Winkle Bird Model CK airplane with a Kinner engine. One of 50 built. It was designed for Barnstorming. Two place front cockpit with a folding seat in the center of the instrument panel for a child for 3 in the front cockpit for max profit. Fuselage about ready to cover. Notice it has a rudder bar. Heel brakes on the end of the rudder bar. Lot of neat thing on this airplane.
I love the instrument panel. The Tee handle is to adjust the LE of the stab for pitch trim like the hand crank on the J-3 Cub.
Pictures of the rear instrument panel.
20200808_114620-1.jpg20200808_114644.jpg20200808_114857.jpg

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Pops, does your neighbor know who owned that Bird in the 1960’s?

BJC
I'm sure he knows, but if I remember correctly, it was in Canada. He bought it off a farmer north of Columbus, Ohio. I helped to truck it home.

Dan

Reactions: BJC

My favorite ride ever was in a Kinner 125 powered FLEET. I think it only turned a max of 1500 rpm and just levitated off the ground.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
There is a very nice Fleet on a private airport ( USW) about 25 miles south of me and the owner died a few years ago . I think he had about a dozen airplanes. Don't know if any has been sold.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
My Grandson spent 3 summers barnstorming with my neighbor in his 1943 Stearman giving rides over the U. S. when he was 15, 16, and 17 years old. He sold tickets, refueled the airplane, helped people in and out of the cockpit, helped in the flying from one place to another, etc.

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
A Bird wasn't used, right ?
No, Bach flew a Detroit-Parks, but at one point in NBC he met up with a guy who had restored a Bird. Later, for the NBC movie, he had a Fleet.

Wanttaja

No, Bach flew a Detroit-Parks, but at one point in NBC he met up with a guy who had restored a Bird. Later, for the NBC movie, he had a Fleet.
Okiedoke, thanks....I remember the Detroit-Parks now.

Ron Wanttaja