Restoration tips and tricks

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Brünner

HBA Supporter
Hey guys, I'd like to share a video about the restoration of an old motorcycle. Not aviation-related obviously but there are several tricks which might come handy for everyone, I think.
As per description there is:
Simple tool for loosening rusty joints
Flushing the gas tank;
Bluing;
Galvanized;
Copper plating;
Removal of rust by electrolysis;
And other. Plus, the video quality is fantastic.
Enjoy,
Brünner

rv7charlie

Interesting that they used acetone for some things, but not for rust cutting on bolts/nuts. 50/50 mix of acetone and ATF works as well as any commercial rust cutter on threaded fasteners.

Charlie

pwood66889

Very good! I note that many of the terms used are "cognates." that is words that sound and mean about the same thing in two languages.
Like <<реставраЦия>> for restoration. Not to pull rank, but my first Russian lessons were just after Sputnik went up!

Mohawk750

I love how he does a months long nut and bolt restoration and then says screw it I can't wait and takes it out for a rip in the snow!😂
Proved you can do a fantastic restoration with out an expensive shop full of tools. Great job, excellent editing and a teaser on the next restoration.👍

Last edited:

robertl

Hey guys, I'd like to share a video about the restoration of an old motorcycle. Not aviation-related obviously but there are several tricks which might come handy for everyone, I think.
As per description there is:
Simple tool for loosening rusty joints
Flushing the gas tank;
Bluing;
Galvanized;
Copper plating;
Removal of rust by electrolysis;
And other. Plus, the video quality is fantastic.
Enjoy,
Brünner

A friend of mine had one similar to this, not quite as old though. It was Russian made, reverse engineered from a BMW, complete with side car. He came by the house to take me for a ride so I grabbed my old Nazi helmet and goggles and off we went. I live in a small Southern town and when we rode through town, past the police station, they immediately fell in behind and followed us around town. Kind of reminiscent of when I had my 65 Pan Head chopper, ex police bike with the suicide shift and that same Nazi helmet back in the day. More attention than a person needs.

wsimpso1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
Be aware that in most of our areas of operation, some of those materials may be tough to come by and/or difficult/expensive to dispose of when done. Research your materials prior to purchase and use.

JohnB

HBA Supporter
Does it prove you need a Masters degree in Chemistry to restore a Russian motorcycle?

The defining moment on the video for me was when he laid the trim tape on the tank. NOT his first rodeo. jb

wsimpso1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
I love how he does a months long nut and bolt restoration and then says screw it I can't wait and takes it out for a rip in the snow!😂
Proved you can do a fantastic restoation with out an expensive shop full of tools. Great job, excellent editing and a teaser on the next restoration.👍
Fresh snow has less risk to finish and systems for a completely restored side-car bike than the same paths in spring, with dirt, dust, mud and rocks.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
A friend of mine had one similar to this, not quite as old though. It was Russian made, reverse engineered from a BMW, complete with side car. He came by the house to take me for a ride so I grabbed my old Nazi helmet and goggles and off we went. I live in a small Southern town and when we rode through town, past the police station, they immediately fell in behind and followed us around town. Kind of reminiscent of when I had my 65 Pan Head chopper, ex police bike with the suicide shift and that same Nazi helmet back in the day. More attention than a person needs.
OH, the great suicide shifts. ( and the kick starts without having the spark retarded all the way).

proppastie

Log Member
ever slide out on gravel and the gyroscopic forces push you upright? felt like the "hand of god".

PTAirco

Ah motorcycles restoration... seem so much easier than airplanes. Everything is small and all you need is a little shed and most things are cheap. Broom closet for a paint room. No regulations to speak of...