Restoration of old wood wings.

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Prandtly

Is it possible to restore old wood wings with failed glue joints. My FP-202 has always been hangared but when stripping the wings for recovering, I have found that the t88 glued joints are failing. Can I just reglue with T88, or do I have to rebuild the wings completely with new wood. The wood is probably 20 or more years old. How old is too old to repair? What is the best way to restore the wings?

Tiger Tim

IMO condition is more important than age when it comes to wood. Remember that even a ‘brand new’ piece of wood is cut from a 100+ year old tree.

As far as assessing what you’ve got I’m not much help but I can definitely tell you to just do one wing at a time using the other one as an example.

proppastie

Log Member
Are you going to use the same glue or thinking about different stuff ?.....on one hand it lasted 20 yr. on the other hand there are Cubs and Champs much older out there.

Dan Thomas

Fractured glue implies improper cure. Low temperatures, incorrect mixing, maybe expired glue dates. Something's wrong and it might mean that the entire assembly is suspect, not just the fractured joints.

In 1973 I bought a Taylor Monoplane that had about three hours total time on it. It had been damaged while parked or during transport. I found, first thing, that the right wing had massive wash-in, which explained the low flight time; it would have required full right aileron and a bootfull of rudder to keep it halfway level. I took the fabric off and started rebuilding the wings, getting the washout right, and then started discovering that the rib gussets and fuselage gussets would pop off with a little finger pressure. The airplane had been built, it turned out, in a cold basement or garage, using Aerolite urea-formaldehyde glue, which is extremely temperature-sensitive. It didn't cure; it dried, and had no strength. I scrapped the airplane.

TFF

You should be able to reglue if you can prep it. The question comes, the cause? Too much glue, too little glue, bad mix of glue? It will depend on how deep you want to go. Local fix or take it all down like a new kit.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I bought my SSSC back a few week ago, after the owner damaged the fuselage with broken longeron, and broken plywood on the right side of the fuselage. Decided it was easier and less work to just build a new fuselage. Also don't have to think about asking yourself while you are flying , " Did I miss something , or is there a broken part where I couldn't see".
No epoxy T-88 glue joints broke. All was the wood.

Richard Roller

While repairing the Pietenpol's tail I had to remove several existing doublers. When it was time to reassemble I shaved the existing longeron and station pieces with a wood plane set to take the thinnest curl of wood off I could manage. Then reglued the new gussets in place. Several inspections since and all looks well.