Restoration of Cleveland wheels?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Go for new O-rings on the cylinders I think the disc can be cleaned up, Worth the effort Clevelands are rock solid and a small fortune new!

Matt

Dan Thomas

Once Cleaned, you can either Powder Coat the Parts...
Look at this, from the Cleveland manual:

1619834361261.png

Pay attention to the "not exceeding 212°F" thing. That implies that the casting has been heat-treated, and excessive temps would soften the metal and ruin the strength of the wheel. Power coating involves temperatures of 400 to 450°F, more than enough to make the wheels unsafe.

Dan Thomas

Go for new O-rings on the cylinders I think the disc can be cleaned up, Worth the effort Clevelands are rock solid and a small fortune new!

Matt
The Cleveland manual also has a minimum thickness specification for each disc part number. For a light homebuilt it might not be that important, but brake fade can be expected with heavier airplanes having thinned discs.

TFF

Some of the mediums are not doable for the home garage, and I’m sure at home is of prime importance for this project. If you have to take it somewhere, it’s defeating this purpose.

Armilite

Some of the mediums are not doable for the home garage, and I’m sure at home is of prime importance for this project. If you have to take it somewhere, it’s defeating this purpose.
=========================

You can do almost every kind of Media (Sand, Plastic, Glass Bead, Walnut Shell, Black Magic, Aluminum Oxide, Soda, etc.) at Home in these cheap Sand & Soda Blasters in the driveway, or in a Blast Cabinet, and even Small Hand Held Blasters. There is even a kit to hook to the Pressure Washer that you can use with different media. Never had any dealings with the ICE Blasters, but they appear to work. A 50 lb Bag of White Fine Grain Play Sand is $3 a Bag. You can Sweep it up and filter out the big particles it for about 3-4 uses. I got one of the Blasters that hooks to a Pressure Washer, but I haven't tried it yet. They keep the Dust down and keeps the metal cool.

Will it work???? $40 Amazon dustless sand blaster

Wet sandblasting a tire rim while still on the trailer.

Attachments

TFF

Dude, We all know what it is. Stuff like dry ice blasting is boutique, and play sand is for cavemen. Everyone knows what a tool horse would buy. What makes sense for possibly once and done is more apt. Putting it in $500 when you need a $50 solution is missing the point. $500 they can go back to Cleveland to have a perfect factory finish. Anyone who has used a real sandblaster will immediately know they want to stop right then.