• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Research Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SVSUSteve

Many of you know that I have a release form for autopsy records and related materials that I use for my research and also as a final gut check to pilots I see whom are about to do something stupid (like the Cessna 172 pilot I saw about to taxi out for takeoff in freezing rain). Our application for non-profit status is about to be filed and so we are going to start more actively seeking out additional data once the funding we are seeking comes in. We are doing this so that we can get better answers to the questions many of you have about how to build a safer aircraft.

This brings me to one of the most difficult requests I have ever made on this forum. I ask what I am about to ask not because I wish to see any of my friends and colleagues on here be hurt or killed- in fact, quite the opposite- so I hope you do not think less of me for asking if any of you would please consider signing a release now in the event you are involved in a crash.

I ask this because one of the things I detest most is having to write to a family and ask permission to access the records. It provides comfort to most, in knowing that their loss was not in vain and what is learned might help prevent other deaths, but for others it tears open a wound that has just begun to heal (we wait at least six months and often a year before contacting a family). I ask for a proactive statement of your wishes so as to avoid this. If you fly with family or friends frequently, ask them to sign one as well. Ask your fellow pilot friends so that we can help advance the science of crash survivability and do all that we can to protect each other.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask them. If you are interested, please feel free to seen me a PM with your e-mail and I will forward the release form to you.

Thank you all for you time,

Steve

Back