Repowering with Electric

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

danmoser

.. a bit more detail on the Chevy Bolt battery cost:
Chevy disclosed it is paying LG Chem about $145/kWh for their Li-Mn pouch type battery packs.
Apparently, the disclosure of that tidbit of information angered LG Chem .. presumably, LG Chem want to keep charging higher prices to other customers.
http://insideevs.com/lg-chem-ticked-gm-disclosing-145kwh-battery-cell-pricing-video/

These are pouch-type batteries with a respectable specific energy of ~140 Wh/kg, but they can be discharged fairly quickly for high specific power rating of ~ 500 W/kg.

Tesla X and S models are using small, more expensive Panasonic 18650 cylindrical cells that have a higher specific energy of 250 Wh/kg for greater potential range, but they have to be discharged more slowly, so their specific power is about the same: ~ 500 W/kg.
Tesla's Model 3 will use the new 2170 cylindrical cells, which are supposed to have a higher specific energy of ~320 Wh/kg for greater range, AND a slightly higher specific power of ~650 W/kg for higher acceleration, AND are cheaper at <$200/kWh.

Some projections have 400 Wh/kg batteries available by 2020, selling for $100/kWh.
We shall see..

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
Are you talking about GM wholesale price?
What is the current retail price to experimenters? I doubt any major company would sell batteries for manned experimental flight. So the purchase would need to be in small lots.

danmoser

Are you talking about GM wholesale price?
What is the current retail price to experimenters? I doubt any major company would sell batteries for manned experimental flight. So the purchase would need to be in small lots.
Yes, it seems that is the GM wholesale price.
I'm only relaying relevant information that is publicly available.
I don't have any retail quotes for hardware available to experimenters..
That's up to your ability as a scrounger.
I'm just a small time experimenter/scrounger myself.
.. just trying to point to price/performance/longevity market trends that are relevant to electric ultralights.

Reality: There are significant cost barriers in getting certified, proven, professional quality electric propulsion hardware on the market..
But the trends are definitely in the favorable direction.
I understand that there will be skepticism and a natural resistance to change, especially for us "graying eagles."
But electrically powered ultralights are coming on strong, and their future is looking very bright indeed.. ;)

henryk

"professional quality electric propulsion hardware on the market.."

=for example=154120 45kW(max),6kg cost circa 800$...

-we have burn it at 12 kW=4 coils defect...iff rewind them=we have very good motor!

400A,100V controller=only 400 $...

blane.c

HBA Supporter
"professional quality electric propulsion hardware on the market.."

=for example=154120 45kW(max),6kg cost circa 800$...

-we have burn it at 12 kW=4 coils defect...iff rewind them=we have very good motor!

400A,100V controller=only 400 $...
A little more detail and some links ? Please henryk.

goldrush