replica's other than p-51 p-40

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

raymondbird

HBA Supporter
I remember that Bf-109 replica, the gear collapsed after a landing. The builder got several enquiries regarding building plans or kits, but he decided that this particular plane does not lend itself well for a scaled down replica.
The gear is notoriously bad, and the cockpit is quite cramped even in the full-size version!
I beg to differ on the cockpit, I'm a medium sized man and fit in the exact scale 3/4 sized cockpit of my 3/4 MJ109 just fine. Maybe some people like "cramped" I guess. Would Michael Schumacher have won more races if he had more room? Or Erich Hartman more kills. Doubt it, but more comfortable maybe.
Landing gear is another story of course.

flitzerpilot

Following on from the vivacious Skoda-Kaubas, I attach a side elevation of a modified proposal which I termed an SK 267 and was intended for a 130 hp. Continental flat-four, although other recent motors motor might serve.
Not unlike the Ikarus, the other type shown here is a modified Bisnovat SK2 with the cockpit moved forward to a more acceptable location, purely as a design exercise. The solo plan view shows an increase in wing area. Possibly an inclined Aeromomentum could work...

Attachments

Twodeaddogs

HBA Supporter
How about a Z-37 modified to look like a Stuka? swap out the radial for a Walter six-cylinder, remodel the canopy for a Stuka crew and dress the undercarriage with fibreglass fairings and spats?

BJC

HBA Supporter

BJC

HBA Supporter
IAR 80? get a Yak 50 and fit it with the wings of the Yak 52 TD so that it has fully retracting gear and paint appropriately. Fit a three bladed prop and a 400 hp radial and you're good to go.
A few tweaks to Monty’s Radial Rocket or its stablemate, the P85, and you are there.

BJC

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
Boeing P-26 "Peashooter" would get my vote for a fun replica project. The original's 9-cylinder Wasp is so big (more than 4' in diameter) that the fuselage is huge and gives you room to scale it down without the challenge of scaling down the pilot. ;-) 75% scale would give you a 21' span and 141 sq ft of wing area, about perfect for a low-powered sport plane, and there are all sorts of fun historical color schemes to choose from. Given the unreliability of small radial engine supplies, it would be fine to disguise a flat four in there instead.

640px-Peashooter.arp.750pix.jpg

Last edited:

Wanttaja

Boeing P-26 "Peashooter" would get my vote for a fun replica project. The original's 9-cylinder Wasp is so big (more than 4' in diameter) that the fuselage is huge and gives you room to scale it down with the challenge of scaling down the pilot. ;-) 75% scale would give you a 21' span and 141 sq ft of wing area, about perfect for a low-powered sport plane, and there are all sorts of fun historical color schemes to choose from. Given the unreliability of small radial engine supplies, it would be fine to disguise a flat four in there instead.
There was a guy doing exactly that with a Fly Baby a few years back. Stringers on the fuselage to round it out, flat-four under a radial cowling.

1616460896715.png
Project was for sale a couple of years back, don't know what happened.

Ron Wanttaja