Replica plans SE5a

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

wiloows5050

Well-Known Member
Log Member
Joined
Jul 28, 2007
Messages
269
Location
Elk Grove Ca
With three builders logs here I’ve been trying to decide if it’s worth start this one here. With all the craziness going on i needed something that was simple to work on. I have the SE5a plans from replicraft but they are way to complicated for an average build. These appear to be a quick build. With (1) Jurca, (2) Sindlinger, (2) Graham Lee, (1) Aerodrome, (1) Sands, (1) Replicraft projects and a Dh82a tiger moth restoration currently going on, I only started this as a sanity check.

3F28DF12-127A-43DE-9569-51E5C2A5623B.jpeg
 

wiloows5050

Well-Known Member
Log Member
Joined
Jul 28, 2007
Messages
269
Location
Elk Grove Ca
At week at home seems to help move things along. Still a long way from catching of my logs. I’ve been making the templates for the three part of the wing ribs. Here’s the T/E template that is completed. It’s hard to see the pilot holes for the larger holes.
429D5AF6-88AB-4DE2-A219-53CC422384AA.jpeg
I’ve completed all the T/E ribs, 22 required. Took me about 2 hrs to make them all.
5DDEBDAC-9828-4FAC-A88F-21A98270C243.jpeg
 

wiloows5050

Well-Known Member
Log Member
Joined
Jul 28, 2007
Messages
269
Location
Elk Grove Ca
Work continues on this project slowly as my wife’s list of projects grows. Finished the L/E template and started the production of nose ribs, the only problem is I have a very limited supply of 1/4” plywood. I need to make 33 of these. It wood be easier it the grain wasn’t supposed to go at a 30 angle.

D66A8AA3-6C6B-49E9-A353-342CC32C6C75.jpeg
Completed nose rib template with pilot holes drilled for the holes.

E42F2106-E6B2-431B-9BD4-EE4C017BACB6.jpeg
First cut nose rub with only the smaller of the two holes drilled. I need to get a 2 1/4” hole saw to drill the other hole. It’s hard to see but the pilot hole for the larger hole is drilled.

Work continues on the center section template as I have to fill some areas as I took to much off. I use a mixture of sawdust and wood glue. It’s reasonably strong and doesn’t have a really long drying time.
 

wiloows5050

Well-Known Member
Log Member
Joined
Jul 28, 2007
Messages
269
Location
Elk Grove Ca
First 13 nose ribs are complete. I had to get a 2 1/4” hole saw. The one I wanted was $50, I settled for the $15 one. I thought I only need to drill 33 holes.

AD2877F5-0329-4F29-9FC9-A93C48262423.jpeg
The nose ribs waiting for the larger hole to be drilled.

9B68152D-A056-4003-8674-EAF468A46D90.jpeg
The edges aren’t as clean as I’d like on the first so:

C81A0A8A-24E2-47FB-BB48-1AB922A90521.jpeg
Taped the bottom and then drilled. Worked great.

EA5D7150-F301-4A74-AD20-A1FDF91FB034.jpeg
First batch done, taped up and put in storage.
 

Attachments

wiloows5050

Well-Known Member
Log Member
Joined
Jul 28, 2007
Messages
269
Location
Elk Grove Ca
This is the center wing rib template, the outsides are complete. All the holes are drilled for the corner points. Still need to cut the material out between the holes. When I’m done I’ll have three templates, one master, one with holes drilled and with the holes completely cut out. It’s hard to see but on the white one only some of the holes are elongated. This was done to get the holes drilled in the proper place.



AB0C1DD7-1729-45EE-853C-2B5AAB440DF9.jpeg
 

Attachments

wiloows5050

Well-Known Member
Log Member
Joined
Jul 28, 2007
Messages
269
Location
Elk Grove Ca
Now it’s time to cut out the middle. Since I’m not wanting to screw up cutting (straight lines) and have to sand the cut smooth heere a clever way to do it. I cut some short pieces of scrap 1/2” tube, the diameter of the holes.

B80E5D12-C2E2-4286-8B35-65DBDCEE0D4F.jpeg
Next I cut some small strips and nailed them in place tangent to the tubes.

042E179A-47BF-4B9F-946B-644A91B691D6.jpeg

Next I cut between the hole to remove the excess material. Then router’d the holes for a clean cut

147D19CD-BC6A-45FE-B1DB-BDF4CDE267FB.jpeg

Holes all done from front

FC88A691-4012-47A7-BDF5-46CD5B26243F.jpeg

this is the back side what the finished jig will look like. Only one problem, the smallest pieces came off during routing. I have to add some material back.

69AE3861-311F-49A0-87BA-24D7F207CF75.jpeg
When the glue dries I’ll recut this area
 

Attachments

wiloows5050

Well-Known Member
Log Member
Joined
Jul 28, 2007
Messages
269
Location
Elk Grove Ca
It official I’ve run out of material for this project. I guess in could build the jig to assemble the ribs but it would just have to sit for awhile. In might be able to scrape up enough material to make a cap strip but not much motivation there. This stay at home is finally affecting my building.

Here’s the completed center section ribs and the parts laid out

BEBD07C4-1097-498B-8DEA-968583A71B27.jpegB24FC521-0E04-454C-A5A2-D3B56264A187.jpeg
 
Top