Replica home builts

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

lr27

Double post
Triple if you count the earlier Monomail post, though I don't know if it was yours. I like the version with spats. Also the one with,a NACA cowl. However, it might be tough to fit a pilot into a small version unless he was lying down in it. Reduced,size replicas,are probably best made from originals with fat fuselages and large canopies. Wildcat, anyone?

A Floh would be a great replica if you could get someone else to fly it for you. Ditto Fokker V.8. Well, ok, the latter is just for novelty value.

I think, with the knowledge we have today, a bunch of the old designs could be tweaked to behave much better. At least if tbe tails are large enough.

I'm amazed that a Tiger Moth can be modified to carry four. I watched the Jackalope video, including the bit at the end with the landing. I was amazed how much the rudder was used. It must be a tricky airplane on the ground.

I suspect that a lot of the 30's racers would have to be enlarged slightly to fit most of us. Having said that, a Goon would be very cool. Or a San Diego Flaggship. At least if the handling could be made safe. The ones with large engines to begin with could be made lighter, with smaller engines and the same size to improve their landing behavior. For the in-line engines, I wonder if anyone has done a conversion of the aluminum version of the Chrysler slant six? I understand one of them had been tweaked to generate a fair amount of horsepower, though the Volare's iron version of that engine was kind of pathetic, even if I could get it moving uphill from a stop with the manual transmission in third gear.

TarDevil

Triple if you count the earlier Monomail post, though I don't know if it was yours. I like the version with spats. Also the one with,a NACA cowl. However, it might be tough to fit a pilot into a small version unless he was lying down in it. Reduced,size replicas,are probably best made from originals with fat fuselages and large canopies. Wildcat, anyone?

A Floh would be a great replica if you could get someone else to fly it for you. Ditto Fokker V.8. Well, ok, the latter is just for novelty value.

I think, with the knowledge we have today, a bunch of the old designs could be tweaked to behave much better. At least if tbe tails are large enough.

I'm amazed that a Tiger Moth can be modified to carry four. I watched the Jackalope video, including the bit at the end with the landing. I was amazed how much the rudder was used. It must be a tricky airplane on the ground.

I suspect that a lot of the 30's racers would have to be enlarged slightly to fit most of us. Having said that, a Goon would be very cool. Or a San Diego Flaggship. At least if the handling could be made safe. The ones with large engines to begin with could be made lighter, with smaller engines and the same size to improve their landing behavior. For the in-line engines, I wonder if anyone has done a conversion of the aluminum version of the Chrysler slant six? I understand one of them had been tweaked to generate a fair amount of horsepower, though the Volare's iron version of that engine was kind of pathetic, even if I could get it moving uphill from a stop with the manual transmission in third gear.
Yeah, my age is getting to me!:beer:

Riggerrob

Has anyone compiled a list of airplanes that have been replicated?

Let's start with a list of replicas for which you can buy plans and/or kits.
Let's try to limit this list to replicas that are simplified enough to build with home tools.

Bell Airacobra and 47 helicopter
Bleriot
Curtiss Jenny, P-40 Warhawk, Pusher (Woody's Pusher)
deHaviland DH-2, Tiger Moth
Eintrich Taube
Fiesler Storch
Focke-Wulf 190
Fokker Eindecker, Triplane, D-VI, D-7 and D-8
Grumman Bearcat
Hawker Fury biplane, Hurricane monoplane, Sea Fury monoplane
Messerschmitt 109
Mitsubishi Zero
Morane-Saulnier L
Nieport 11, 17, 24, 25, 28
North American P-51A, B and D Mustangs, T6 Harvard
Piper Cub clones, both full-sized and reduced scale
Republic P-47 Thunderbolt
Santos-Dumont Demoiselle
SE5A WW1 fighter
Sopwith Baby, Camel, Pup, Tabloid, Triplane
Supermarine Spitfire
Vought F4U Corsair

Riggerrob

Sorry Cluttonfred,
But I cannot remember the exact name of the Canadian who offered to sell plans for ultalight replicas or AT-6 Harvard and P-39 Airacobra. He was from one of the prairie provinces.
he built and flew prototypes of at least three different ultralights, but we have not heard from him over the last decade.

Riggerrob

Who is offering Bell P-39 Airacobra replica plans or kits?
Blue Yonder offered plans for their EXZ King Cobra replica. It was a crude replica with constant-chord wings and a small Rotax engine.

Their EZ Harvard replica looks much more like the WW 2 trainer.

rv7charlie

Rumor has it that if you build a replica of an experimental that's over 30(?) years old, you can use 'NX' instead of 'N' as the N number prefix, and you're then not required to placard the cockpit with the 3" 'EXPERIMENTAL' placard. My -7 project will look just like a -6 when it's finished....

Charlie

vhhjr

HBA Supporter
I had some email conversations with a DIETER SEDLBAUER from Australia about 15 years ago. He was building a P-39 replica and even sent me some photos of the project. An all metal version with a 2 cycle engine in the nose. That was in 2006 and i never heard from him again. Does anybody have an info on this project? I have attached some photos he sent me.

Attachments

12notes

Lifetime Supporter
Log Member
Rumor has it that if you build a replica of an experimental that's over 30(?) years old, you can use 'NX' instead of 'N' as the N number prefix, and you're then not required to placard the cockpit with the 3" 'EXPERIMENTAL' placard. My -7 project will look just like a -6 when it's finished....

Charlie
It's not rumor, you can use the NX prefix and dispense with the experimental label at the cockpit entrance if your project has the same external configuration as an aircraft build at least 30 years ago, and the tail number can be as small as 2 inches tall.

As long as you only plan on flying the plane in the US, though. International flight requires the experimental label and a 12 inch tall tail number (see full rule link for this detail).

--
14 CFR 45.22

(b) A small U.S.-registered aircraft built at least 30 years ago or a U.S.-registered aircraft for which an experimental certificate has been issued under §21.191(d) or 21.191(g) for operation as an exhibition aircraft or as an amateur-built aircraft and which has the same external configuration as an aircraft built at least 30 years ago may be operated without displaying marks in accordance with §§45.21 and 45.23 through 45.33 if:

(1) It displays in accordance with §45.21(c) marks at least 2 inches high on each side of the fuselage or vertical tail surface consisting of the Roman capital letter “N” followed by:

(i) The U.S. registration number of the aircraft; or

(ii) The symbol appropriate to the airworthiness certificate of the aircraft (“C”, standard; “R”, restricted; “L”, limited; or “X”, experimental) followed by the U.S. registration number of the aircraft; and

(2) It displays no other mark that begins with the letter “N” anywhere on the aircraft, unless it is the same mark that is displayed under paragraph (b)(1) of this section.
--

FYI, section 45.23 is the section requiring the "Experimental" placard at the cockpit entrance, which is exempted through "may be operated without displaying marks in accordance with §§45.21 and 45.23 through 45.33" above.

vhhjr

HBA Supporter
Who is offering Bell P-39 Airacobra replica plans or kits?
My effort isn't a kit, but was developed from a set of giant scale RC plans. Truth in advertising, this is only a mockup that I originally put together about 20 years ago and have been dragging it around since then. Since we are in lockdown I decided to up grade the mockup and the photos are attached. i took out the Mazda rotary and put in a Buick/Rover 215 V8 as the powerplant and also installed a Casales marine redrive unit in the nose. I had the doors for years and installed them. The whole thing was painted yellow, I can't remember the logic that caused that to happen, so I repainted it a sort of aircraft primer green. It seems to look bigger in green. The scale is 70% and the original plans where 20% scale.

As a mockup it's useful to try out how everything fits. Unfortunately, it's still hanging from the ceiling, there's no floor space in the hangar, so I couldn't get into the cockpit. I've been there before and it's quite roomy. The doors are very small so the top of the canopy is hinged for access.

Attachments

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
Very cool! Let's see...37mm at 70% is 25.9mm, there are some 25mm aircraft guns but they are not common, you might have to settle for 20mm. 😜

Latest posts