Repairs to wing fabric?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

BJC

HBA Supporter
I recently bought some in Lowes. Hardware and paint stores should have it.
Lowe's here does not carry M.E.K., even though they advertise that they do. Look closely at the label of most "MEK" in box and hardware stores today, and you will see that it is actually a "substitute" or "alternative."

BJC

Marc W

I might have bought the MEK at Ace Hardware. It is the real thing. At any rate, here in the good old US of A, we can still buy evil chemicals. No smog check on your vehicle either, and no building department!

Victor Bravo

Call Poly-Fiber (or whatever the new company name is), and get a copy of the Poly-Fiber fabric covering manual. Virtually all questions are answered well and clearly in that manual. Also, if you need any further assistance or materials for the Poly-Fiber system, call Norm Douthit Aero in Riverside, CA I believe. Norm is the most knowledgeable and most familiar with everything associated with the Poly-Fiber system, he's a great guy, and there are no questions he cannot answer on this fabric system..

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would suggest some research before using such old covering materials. Ceconite 7600, which was developed from Blue River, had problems with glued seams and patches coming loose.

TFF

I would deal with blue river if was on the plane but I would never use it new. Or very old but unused. Stewart’s fixed the problems that that stuff had.

flywheel1935

I would deal with blue river if was on the plane but I would never use it new. Or very old but unused. Stewart’s fixed the problems that that stuff had.
Could you expand, as the kit I'm building has been sat in storage for 30 years, I'm aware the glues will be no good but what's the issue with the fabric ???

TFF

Overall I’m taking about the whole system. I the fabric to me is an unknown by its self. The company is out of business because the fabric system was falling off airplanes. I don’t know if anyone was ever hurt. I believe the first plane to use it was the Ultimate Biplane 10-300 prototype.

If it is just colored fabric instead of white, it’s probably ok. If it is a treated fabric somehow, I would not touch it. I just would not have the heart to risk at least known to be a bad system on something now and take the chance it’s a mess or worse comes off in flight. Too much work to put something known to be a problem on.

It is interesting that you have some unused. I have seen wanted on other forums to find some because of being in a country where a substitute would be an automatic recover. That is how most feel of flying planes with that type of covering. No trust and cover job in the future. It was a certified system so it had to of passed some testing, but in the field it was not pretty. That is the headwind Stewart’s has to overcome.

flywheel1935

Overall I’m taking about the whole system. I the fabric to me is an unknown by its self. The company is out of business because the fabric system was falling off airplanes. I don’t know if anyone was ever hurt. I believe the first plane to use it was the Ultimate Biplane 10-300 prototype.

If it is just colored fabric instead of white, it’s probably ok. If it is a treated fabric somehow, I would not touch it. I just would not have the heart to risk at least known to be a bad system on something now and take the chance it’s a mess or worse comes off in flight. Too much work to put something known to be a problem on.

It is interesting that you have some unused. I have seen wanted on other forums to find some because of being in a country where a substitute would be an automatic recover. That is how most feel of flying planes with that type of covering. No trust and cover job in the future. It was a certified system so it had to of passed some testing, but in the field it was not pretty. That is the headwind Stewart’s has to overcome.
Hi TFF, Having googled the 7600 Blue River covering system, I now plan to go full current Ceconite, probably lightweight for the Airframe, and 102 for the flying surfaces. Seems my roll of Yellow stuff is simply not considered a valid covering these days, and I'm not risking it for the sake of a few £,s

Victor Bravo

Well, yes, but if the existing fabric is Dacron in good condition, and the other brands of aircrafft fabric are all Dacron, then exactly what risk are you taking if you use thee yellow Dacron now in your possession? You may choose to use any number of "systems" (Stits/polyfiber, Ceconite, Stewart, et al), but if those systems are all starting with the same general type of Dacron fabric...?

It is my understanding that the actual fabric fibers are the same. The fibers are woven into different weights of cloth, which are either the same of very very nearly the same. The only significant difference between any of the (modern) covering systems is the chemicals that are used to attach, reinforce, and coat the Dacron fibers.

TFF

The Stewart’s glue is good stuff. It’s 3M in another world and is what glue Champion has been covering its planes straight from the factory for years; they have their own way of covering.
If I cover another homebuilt, it will use that glue with the rest polyfiber chemicals until I can’t get them.

Mr Wittman knew the covering was coming off for a few days and decided to take off with it compromised anyway.

Pops

Log Member
The Stewart’s glue is good stuff. It’s 3M in another world and is what glue Champion has been covering its planes straight from the factory for years; they have their own way of covering.
If I cover another homebuilt, it will use that glue with the rest polyfiber chemicals until I can’t get them.

Mr Wittman knew the covering was coming off for a few days and decided to take off with it compromised anyway.
I was thinking of the same , Stewart's glue with the rest Poly-Fiber. But will the glue hold up to the MEK base of the Poly-Fiber paints ?

TFF

There are people doing it now. Certified you can’t of course. There is really no instructions on how to remove it once dry. I’m sure if you soaked it in mek it would come off in time, but so would regular. I think because it’s not of the same chemical makeup it resists better. I believe the 3M is called 30NF. It’s one of the first things I will test if I get a chance for myself.

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
When I had to redo the rib stitching on my Fisher, which had Ceconite 7600 with an automotive enamel topcoat, I put the patches on with 30NF according to the Stewart instructions, followed by a waterborne automotive primer, then the original enamel. Had no problems with it.

flywheel1935

Guys I'm mindful that my own LMA build is in danger of hijacking M-Roger initial post, so plan to go full Ceconite 102 for the flying surfaces ,and may!!! use the virgin 7600 on the airframe, as we planned to test fly without covering in the early stages anyway, like a Breezy ???

MI-Roger

Don't worry about a hijack. I have learned a lot by reading all these posts! Attaced is a photo of the eings in their cradle/sling. Note the pinkish color with no paint applied.

Attachments