• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Repair of compromised Longeron

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SamP

Hello All,
I'm the proud owner of a new Sonex. Unfortunately, there are some issues with the previous owner's work. In a few instances, he redrilled holes next to others and near edges, seriously compromising the structural integrity of the piece (in this case, horizontal stabilizer spar).

The most straightforward solution is to replace the piece completely. I've also been told that filling the holes with welded material (though I think it would compromise the heat temper).
I'm also considering using a doubler over the area to bridge the weak spot. Anyone have any thoughts? If I use a piece as thick as the damaged part, I think that should be sufficient to handle all the loads.

IMG_3718[1].jpgIMG_3717[1].jpgIMG_3716[1].jpg

Back