Quantcast

Reno 2020 - or whenever - Sport Class. Just dreamin'

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Kyle Boatright

HBA Supporter
I don't dream that high. I think I could afford to be mid-pack competitive in F1, but Sport Class is getting pricey unless you're just filling out the back of the field.

I'm pretty sure I'm not brave enough to do either. ;-)

mcrae0104

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Double the horsepower, retract the gear, flutter test it to 100 mph beyond Vne, and you'll have a competitor on your hands!

I say this tongue in cheek, not to knock Jeff's awesome airplane, but to point out how much work the guys at the top have really done. I would like to see a P85 turn the pylons.

Jeffd

Double the horsepower, retract the gear, flutter test it to 100 mph beyond Vne, and you'll have a competitor on your hands!

I say this tongue in cheek, not to knock Jeff's awesome airplane, but to point out how much work the guys at the top have really done. I would like to see a P85 turn the pylons.
It has been the subject of recent conversations, for sure...

Toobuilder

HBA Supporter
Log Member
There is an ongoing Hot Rod magazine series (The Big Bang Theory) where they take a well used LS v-8 and strap big turbos to it and see if they can kill the stock bottom end. The first was a little 4.8 that made over 1100 HP; the latest was a 6.0 that made more than 1500. Both engines mechanically survived many, many dyno runs.

The current aircraft engines in Sport Class are reportedly running at their mechanical limits and barely holding together. I can see a significant shift to access the much, much higher and less expensive automotive based HP very soon. Once that floodgate opens, theres no going back if a team wants to remain competetive. The PSRU will be the problem of course, but racing always fixes technical hurdles. After that, we will all benefit from a source of flight proven automotive based engines. There are good times coming. In 10 years, nobody will miss the warbirds at Reno.