Renewing tools

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

tangocharlie123

Hi All

After a massive Hail storm here I had two tool boxes full of tools that got filled with water and the tools have gone rusty.

How would you rejuvinate them.

some are chrome valadium coated others are just steel.

with thanks..

Peter

snaildrake

Oh boy, sorry to hear that. There are some ways to get most simple tools like wrenches back. I hope you laid them out to dry as soon as you found them.
If there are joints (pliers) or mechanisms (ratchets) it's much harder. Anti-corrosion penetrants like Super-PBlaster (sic?) might help, given enough time.
On plated tools like end wrenches with just surface rust I'd burnish them on a wire wheel running either on a bench grinder or just an electric drill.
For rusted carbon steel, naval jelly is your friend (find at hardware store, Home Depot). Follow the directions to let it soak in and react with the oxides - this usually takes repetition. Good luck

Tom Nalevanko

Recently I took a bunch of rusty tools and put them on a piece of cardboard and sprayed them with WD-40. Couple days later turned them over and sprayed them again. Then, one by one, I sprayed and exercised whatever moves, like pliers. The tools may still look a bit rusty but they seem to work OK. WD-40 is pretty cheap and does the job.

Rom