Renew an expired class rating?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Raketenolli

I know this is not a homebuilt-specific question, but I'm sure there are plenty of friendly and knowledgeable people around here that can help me.

I've recently moved here from Germany and I have a European PPL-A license (which in itself never expires) with a Single Engine Piston Land rating which expired several years ago. The process in Europe would be, if I'm not mistaken, to take some flying lessons and then just redo a practical exam.
What is the process to renew an expired rating in the US? I'm hoping I can get my license transferred and would just have to renew the rating (I need to take flying lessons anyway) as opposed to starting from zero again, as if I had never held a license.

Oliver

Turd Ferguson

I've recently moved here from Germany and I have a European PPL-A license (which in itself never expires) with a Single Engine Piston Land rating which expired several years ago.
You'll have to renew in accordance with the rules for the the country of issue.

You should be able to convert it to a US certificate by following 61.75, which is a streamline process.

The conversion requires that you hold a current certificate you the originating country, so you're sorta back at step 1.
Then you have to have the FAA validate the certificate so you would follow the process here:

After than you visit the FSDO or a DPE and have them verify you meet the english language requirements, fill out an Form 8710 and they issue a US certificate.

The expired part is the fly in the ointment.

Raketenolli

Thanks for the quick responses!

Your medical, biannual and currency can.
Yes, that's what I meant, I am not current on my SEP rating and my last BFR (or European equivalent) was several years ago.

You should be able to convert it to a US certificate by following 61.75, which is a streamline process. (...) The conversion requires that you hold a current certificate you the originating country, so you're sorta back at step 1.
The license itself can't expire, and a non-current rating seems to not be a limiting factor according to § 61.75. So at least in theory I may be able to get a US license, it just wouldn't have a current rating?

Assuming I get that far, from what I can see I just can't fly as PIC/solo and would have to undergo ground and flight training and get an endorsement by a CFI? Or am I way too optimistic here?

Oliver

Turd Ferguson

I suppose you could complete the application for verification on the FAA website and see what happens. The FAA guidance says once they get the application:

"The FAA will review your information and contact your home country to verify that you possess a valid and current pilot license. This process normally takes 45-90 days. You will receive a verification letter when this is done; then you will have 6 months to visit the United States and apply for a private pilot certificate."
Not sure how they define "valid and current."

There is no expiry on FAA issued "ratings." Highly unlikely the FAA will issue a pilot certificate with expired rating as the FAA regs have no provision for such a certificate. If the expired rating is not relevant to the conversion process they should issue the verification letter and you're well on your way.