• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Removing Fabric - Wood Wing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lake_harley

Supporting Member
I've covered a plane I built but never started with an already covered wing. I'm considering a project which has wings that I would want to recover.

I want to totally remove the fabric to repair some known damage as well as do a thorough inspection, sanding, re-varnishing and recovering. I don't know what adhesive was used but would think that PolyTac (MEK based) would be a strong possibility. I've searched for info on removing the fabric without damaging the wood beneath but didn't find much info or guidance here, and YouTube videos I found were sped up video that didn't go into any discussion of actually separating the attached fabric from the wing ribs or thin plywood leading edge. I don't expect the leading edge wrap was completely glued, but I'd want to be prepared for the worst case scenario.

Could I expect the glued joints will just separate by pulling the fabric back, or will I need to soften/release the glue with MEK or heat, or maybe even use a razor blade to "shave" it off?

I used the Stewart System adhesive process before and was pleased with the results, so that's what I'd be using for recovering.

I don't think it would really matter, but the wings in question are MiniMAX-ish wings, so the ribs are 1/4" X 1/4", and the leading edge is most likely 1.0 or 1.5 MM birch plywood......or at least it should be.

Guidance would be appreciated. Putting my mind at ease regarding what I might encounter would be a plus! :)

Lynn

Back