• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Relationship of wetted area/fineness ratio

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

handprop

Without having experience to guide me I am wondering about how important wetted area and fineness ratio are in the overall picture as it relates the the speed of an airplane. From a plumbers perspective it seems that on a real fast airplane these two matter a lot more than on an airplane that has a cruise considerably less.

Before I sat down and drafted out the second version of my airplane I searched around on the internet and began reading about these two factors and what role they play in aircraft design. It seems to me the general shape of an airplane must have an ideal shape ( all things considered ), and the shape I drew in the photos must be close. Am I thinking straight here?

Now, as I began to look at some of the high performance composite airplanes out there it seems like most of them have skinny tail sections. The question I have on this is doesn't that have a negative component as it concerns fineness ratio, but at the same time have a positive component as it concerns total wetted area.

I hope I explained it right. From a total novice perspective, If I want my airplane that I'm working on to have a cruise of 120 mph and say a low horsepower motor, should I spend more time thinking about fineness ratio or total wetness area, or both? I'm just trying to get a handle on these two and what role they play on airplanes of different speed. Mike J

Back