Reklaw Texas Flyin 2016

Discussion in 'Upcoming Events and Trip Reports' started by Propman, Oct 5, 2016.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Oct 5, 2016 #1

Propman

Propman

Propman

Who's Going?

I'll be there Friday, Saturday , possibly Sunday

2. Oct 5, 2016 #2

Rockiedog2

Rockiedog2

Rockiedog2

I'm planning to go in this SS-1. Fri, Sat, lv Sunday sometime

weasel likes this.
  3. Oct 5, 2016 #3

bmcj

bmcj

bmcj

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

spaceshipone-4.jpg ?

4. Oct 5, 2016 #4

steveair2

steveair2

steveair2

We'll be there Saturday and Sunday.

5. Oct 17, 2016 #5

Propman

Propman

Propman

Reklaw weather.PNG

Gonna be Great weather!
    See Y'all there

Rockiedog2 likes this.
  6. Oct 18, 2016 #6

fly2kads

fly2kads

fly2kads

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

I wish I were going, but I have commitments for non-aviation motorsports this weekend. Post up a pic or two or a dozen!

7. Oct 18, 2016 #7

weasel

weasel

weasel

Man Spencer, I wanted to try Reklaw this year but looks like SERFI again

8. Oct 18, 2016 #8

Rockiedog2

Rockiedog2

Rockiedog2

Serfi is a drag compared to Reklaw Weasel come on down

9. Oct 18, 2016 #9

Propman

Propman

Propman

Come on Weasel, promise you'll have a great time.

10. Oct 21, 2016 #10

Rockiedog2

Rockiedog2

Rockiedog2

SS1 broke down. Figures.
    Will come in this 701. Think I could make it faster in a wheel chair. LOL.
    Well, it's a relaxing ride. We'll sight see, drink coffee, eat junk and smoke cheap ceegars on the way down. That sounds pretty good actually.
    We'll see yall there if nothin else happens.

11. Oct 22, 2016 #11

Rockiedog2

Rockiedog2

Rockiedog2

I had a great trip down. wx was perfect and had a little tailwind. this 701 while hardly a sexy mount got here in 3.4 Hobbs including a stop in Ruston LA. It's 400 sm so that's pretty good considering it's more like 450+ by road (and lotta back country roads so an all day trip). So even a slow plane beats heck outa a car on a trip like that. But yall already knew that I know. Lotta folks and planes here it's gonna be a big one. saw Propman; watching for steveair but am skittish of him cause of his avatar pic; he looks to have some sort of mental problem.

BJC likes this.
  12. Oct 24, 2016 #12

Rockiedog2

Rockiedog2

Rockiedog2

Reklaw was great. Best wx I ever had there. 45/75 and light wind. Big turnout and lotta interesting planes as well as the boring but highly useful spamcans. constant flybys as usual. The hogs have been ruttin the strip hard so there are lotta patches. raw dirt and it was dry so dust galore from all the constant takeoffs. it was rough too. real rough. I saw several gear failures. one Titan Tornado broke a MG leg on the taxiway of all places. spent all day Sat scrapping up a makedo gear leg and was leaving this morning on the rough runway and the NG folded under. pore devil had a bad time of it. saw a Baby Ace lose a tailwheel and groundloop. Broke the chain link to the spring but he rigged it and was goin again in no time. Missed Steveair but Propman was there...he's got me thinking hard about a 3 cyl Verner for PP but I'm resisting.
    Lemme vent a little about something that bugged me all weekend. Reklaw is tight. the 4K grass runway is lined with planes, folks, campers, tents, kids, dogs, wheel chairs antique show cars you name it...for the entire length. There are very few rules and it seems to work out as well as the heavily regulated flyins. But i saw at least half the "pilots" runup with zero regard for what was right behind them. I mean just a few yards...big taildragger radials doing a full runup with tents kids dogs 701's right behind em. I saw one 2 year old looking kid get blown down which he thought was great fun and wanted to do it again. I was getting my 701 ready to fly and had it untied and this jerk starts runnin a radial up right in front of it. was gonna blow ot over. I ran around in front of him making wild gestures about what he was doing. It was obvious that was the first he had given a thought to it. Pissed me off and it happened more than once. Etc etc. It seems that the current crop of pilots hasn't been trained at all about SA for what's behind em on runup. It's been a petpeev of mine for a long time. I trained my kid solo on a 1943 WW2 USAAF primary manual. It was full of stuff like "don't runup with the tail pointing toward the hangar cause it'll blow grass in it". SA for what's all round the plane all the time. Well I just wanted to mention that. The other thing that I see so much and especially this weekend is the warning of "prop clear" being called out just as the "pilot" hits the start switch. I mean, the reason we call it out is to give whoever or whatever is in the way a chance to move and the way so many of us have gotten into the mindless habit of doing it doesn't give a bystander a chance to shout "there's a german shepherd in the way" or "wait the towbar is still hooked up" or whatever, you get the picture. We all wanta be respected for the way we handle ourselves and the plane when the PIC...why not start out earning that respect by giving a little thought to how we start the plane.

weasel and Pops like this.
  13. Oct 24, 2016 #13

Pops

Pops

Pops

Have I seen a lot of that, to h*** with what is behind me.

14. Oct 24, 2016 #14

BJC

BJC

BJC

Add to that the pilots who are unaware of what they are doing in the air, and you have explained why I quit flying to fly-ins.

BJC

15. Oct 24, 2016 #15

weasel

weasel

weasel

I thought I was just getting old and ill tempered :hammer: but with your company I now feel ok. I try to play nice guy and make mention of these things in passing to pilots and just receive a blank stare, you know, the one like a dog watching tv. they just don't get it. :computer:

16. Oct 24, 2016 #16

Pops

Pops

Pops

OK, I'll put my two cents in. The people of this country are far different from past generations in a lot of ways. The average person today is completely self centered in all ways. It come down to there world view , but we are not allowed to talk about that on this form. They have lived their complete lives just thinking about themselves and could care less about what they do to other people, after all they have never had to be responsible for their actions, its always someone else s fault. Since I grew up in the 1940's and 50's I don't recognize the people of this country anymore. So running up the engine with no regard to anything behind is just normal in their minds.

BJC-- I have see people pick their children up and stand them on top of a fabric wing at OSH. You have to stand guard at all times, and if you say something you will get an earful of fowl language.

steveair2 and BJC like this.
  17. Oct 24, 2016 #17

BJC

BJC

BJC

Had barracade tape around my first Pitts, on display for the airport open house, at the request of the FBO. Saw a father lift his son over the tape and point to the airplane. His son quickly climbed on the fabric wing. I lifted him off, carried him (screaming) over to his father, and handed him to his father. The father started to give me a hard time for picking up his son. I told him, in not such polite words, that he needed to leave before I stomped his ass into the ground. He turned pale and left. I locked the airplane in the hangar and went home.

Pops, you are right about how this country has changed. When I started working and needed to go into a boiler, I would take my wallet, keys, and loose change out of my pockets and leave them on the buckstay. If I forgot to retrieve them when I got out, they would show up on my desk later. Just a few years later, I had to lock them in my desk to protect them.

BJC

Pops and steveair2 like this.
  18. Oct 24, 2016 #18

steveair2

steveair2

steveair2

I had to work Friday and didn't make it to the Fly In until 10 pm. My phone lost service so I couldn't call or take calls. I looked for Rockiedog and Propman with no luck. Poor planning on my part. I'll catch up with Y'all at the next one. The show had a great turnout and we had a great time.
    I was camped along side my Uncles Highlander.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
  19. Oct 25, 2016 #19

Kevin N

Kevin N

Kevin N

Couldn't find rockiedog? How many frog green 701's were in attendance?

20. Oct 25, 2016 #20

Rockiedog2

Rockiedog2

Rockiedog2

yeh Pops I think that's part of it. I lay some of it on a couple other things to. I don't think the CFI's teach what we're talking about. I doubt they ever think about it themselves and some who blew on others at Reklaw are probably current gen CFIs. I think the other thing is inattention/lack of SA. In the military and airlines they got a number of terms for it..."head up and locked, fat dumb and happy, head up your ass". And others not so polite. yall have heard em. And at a high intensity flyin like Reklaw I think there is are some who are clanked up. Nerves. Not thinking. Sum it up as stupid, whether momentary or from birth. I don't hesitate to get in their face if possible, but they usually don't come around after getting yelled at while blowing on my plane. I've been stupid(momentary) about just what we're talking about. Was at SunnFun about 10 years ago and decided to motor over to Cedar Key for a look around. Got over there and there were several others on the tight little ramp. Not thinking I blew on one of the
    other guy's planes when swiveling around. He got poed and came over and was chewing my ass. I didn't blame him a bit and said so. I told him I knew better, had been at this 40 years, didn't blame him a bit, my kids had been saying I was losing it, I deserve everything you say, the embarrassment and remorse is just unbearable, would you please give me some relief and crank up and blow on my plane, PLEASE. I was sincere but now everybody on the ramp was laughing their butt off and the guy just walked off laughing w/o blowing on my plane and I had to endure the remorse and embarrassment all day. No relief. Terrible day.
    I won't say everybody at Reklaw was doing it but by far the vast majority were. 2 years ago had my Legal Eagle there with the trailer and all our tools and gear and a buncha guys sittin around and this idiot in a Baron pulls up and swings around right in front of us maybe 20 yards and starts running both up. Several of us ran around in front and got his attention big time and he sheepishly and quietly eased away. He was giving some guy dual.