• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

reinforcement of aluminum extrusion (strut like structure) with a composite.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamison1

Greetings,

So I have an aluminum extrusion that is very much like a wing strut, although that actually isn't the application but the application of forces is very very similar. In any case this extrusion has been found as being too flexible and there is concern that it will crack. I would like to reinforce it with composite approach, ultimately weight is a minor concern vs strength for this part. I plan to fill the structure with urethane potting material for improved compressive strength and then strip the existing coating (2 part epoxy paint) prep with a wire brush followed by acid prep and then an epoxy adhesion promotor followed by a fiberglass or carbon fiber layup (maybe a combination of 1 layer of fiberglass and 1 layer of carbon).

What I am looking for advice on is the specific materials and techniques to use in making the layup. i.e. can you recommend an adhesion promotor, epoxy resin and laminating schedule. The existing structure is 4" x 1" in the shape of a naca foil with ~1/8" walls and 2 full length attachment bolts and is 6000 series aluminum.

There is a whole lot of information on the web about making composite structures with wood and other core materials but not much info when the core material is aluminum.

I should also say that this isn't part of a manned portion of an aircraft, it is part of a towed behind structure for a UAV experiment (research project) that will only be used over the ocean so failure won't put lives in jeopardy.

Back