• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Regulations on Custom Avionics?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dorfer

Hey, I am (very) tentatively considering building some of my own output panels for flight data (in my yet-to-be-started homebuilt plane.) As a professional programmer (working on mapping software no less) with some EE friends I believe it would be easy for me to rig up a touchscreen monitor to display gps/map data and other assorted sensor outputs far below the cost of a lot of similar systems I see around.

The trick is I am entirely new to the field of aviation and unsure what regulations govern the cockpit instrumentation. I would of course plan to have some standard guages for the basics in addition to my custom monitor, but what exactly comprises the basics? What are required by law? What could I redirect to my custom output (from a legal perspective)?

I am also interested in IFR requirements... I know nothing about them (I know next to nothing about flying in general yet to be honest.) In general what additional gauges are required to get a plane cleared for IFR flying? And, of course, would there be any problem with making my own display for some of them?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Back