Regulations - Aircraft Certification

Discussion in 'Rules and Regulations / Flight Safety / Better Pil' started by Will Aldridge, Dec 12, 2010.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Jul 1, 2015 #21
    I have just started a new thread asking about the regulations in the Netherlands ... please could explain it ... here is ok ... you know my Dutch is not that good ... :)

I'll be thankful if you could give an insight of the regulations on home building an ultralight/microlight as well as flying it ...
    Am moving back to the Netherlands soon and am thinking about building my ultralight there and flying it ... but I have no clue what regulations that I should follow ... if any ...

Thanks in advance ...

2. May 18, 2016 #22

777Capted

777Capted

777Capted

I am retiring soon from FedEx and would like to fly people who are in need of medical care free, especially are veteran's. I have inquired with a few organizations already, however, God willing if I get this new Raton experimental aircraft, can I personally do humanitarian flights, belonging to no organization and not accepting financial aid, all out of my own pocket. Is this legal? Thanks Ed

3. May 18, 2016 #23

TFF

TFF

TFF

Your the commercial pilot. I believe you are limited in the number of flights you can do a year. Too many and they will want a 135; mainly because they can't trace you otherwise. Point A back to point A is not a problem; leaving them at point B is.

4. May 18, 2016 #24

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

I see two problems right off:

One - no affiliation with an organization; and
    Two - Experimental aircraft.

5. May 19, 2016 #25

BBerson

BBerson

BBerson

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

I think it is legal. He said free.
    If it isn't legal fly a sick person for free without permission then I live in the wrong country.

Midniteoyl likes this.
  6. May 19, 2016 #26

PTAirco

PTAirco

PTAirco

Well, pretty soon, the FAA will argue that flying by itself is some kind of reward and to fly for hire or reward you need a commercial license. So we'll all need a commercial license soon! I am not stretching the imagination too much here, since they already decided that getting paid in flight time is getting paid, so it's a commercial operation. Even if you supply the fuel.

7. May 19, 2016 #27

Midniteoyl

Midniteoyl

Midniteoyl

I have known a couple of people with Wheeler Express' that have done the Angel Flight thing.

8. May 19, 2016 #28

BoKu

BoKu

BoKu

That used to be the FAA's view on glider towing, and it resulted in bizarre logical contortions regarding what of said flight time you could log. But they've backed away from that position, and now it is possible for glider clubs to have private pilots do their towing.

9. May 19, 2016 #29

BBerson

BBerson

BBerson

I actually got my commercial certificate so I could do glider rides for hire and maybe introduce some future pilots to the experience. But no, the commercial certificate is just one step. You are required to get a "Letter of Authorization". Nobody even knows how much getting that letter costs in wasted time, stress or whatever.
    No way I ask for permission to start a business in my country, just to have a stranger fail to renew it and effectively destroy my investment.

10. May 19, 2016 #30

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

From Angel Flight FAQ's

Are experimental planes permitted to fly Angel Flight missions?

No, the plane must be certified by the FAA under a Standard Airworthiness Certificate.

It's not the organization, it's a regulatory thing.

11. May 19, 2016 #31

BBerson

BBerson

BBerson

What regulation prohibits free rides?

mcrae0104 likes this.
  12. May 20, 2016 #32

Swampyankee

Swampyankee

Swampyankee

Perhaps, but it's also likely a way to minimize liability exposure: use of a certified aircraft could be used as evidence of due diligence if that Angel Flight crashes into a full football stadium.

13. May 20, 2016 #33

D Hillberg

D Hillberg

D Hillberg

Experimentals are built and flown for education and recreation, A Angel Flight is a mission not recreation- protection of nonparticipating public ie: a half dead passenger.

A certificated aircraft is required. (public service is a different story)

14. May 20, 2016 #34

BBerson

BBerson

BBerson

The FAR 21 says construction for education or recreation. Doesn't mention how it is flown:

(g) Operating amateur-built aircraft. Operating an aircraft the major portion of which has been fabricated and assembled by persons who undertook the construction project solely for their own education or recreation.

Nor is he raising funds for a charitable organization:

§91.146 Passenger-carrying flights for the benefit of a charitable, nonprofit, or community event.
    (a) Definitions. For purposes of this section, the following definitions apply:

Charitable event means an event that raises funds for the benefit of a charitable organization recognized by the Department of the Treasury whose donors may deduct contributions under section 170 of the Internal Revenue Code (26 U.S.C. Section 170).

Community event means an event that raises funds for the benefit of any local or community cause that is not a charitable event or non-profit event.

Non-profit event means an event that raises funds for the benefit of a non-profit organization recognized under State or Federal law, as long as one of the organization's purposes is the promotion of aviation safety.

Last edited: May 20, 2016
  15. May 20, 2016 #35

D Hillberg

D Hillberg

D Hillberg

and every one is issued limitations for each and every one and unless it's issued a special purpose certificate for a specific job good luck with your FSDO.

16. May 20, 2016 #36

radfordc

radfordc

radfordc

No, it's the organization's rule. To fly under their "banner" you have to follow their rules.

If flying people for free was against reg's you wouldn't be able to do Young Eagle flights in an experimental, either. And of course you can.

mcrae0104 and BBerson like this.
  17. May 20, 2016 #37

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

There is no reg that specifically prohibits giving free rides but the relationship between pilot and passengers is part of the equation. Free rides to family, friends and others (within limits) is fine. When the pilot starts offering free rides to the general public, there are indeed regs about transporting those persons and it doesn't matter if a specific charge for the flight is made or not.

When a pilot offers to transport persons (general public) in his own plane the question becomes: "Does this flight require an operator or operating certificate under FAR 119? Or, is it specifically excluded?"

18. May 20, 2016 #38

BBerson

BBerson

BBerson

I read through FAR 119 and found nothing about "limits" on number of free rides or any mention of free rides because
    FAR 119 applies to commercial operations.
    So where is the rule?

19. May 20, 2016 #39

PTAirco

PTAirco

PTAirco

Can you quote some FARs on that?

20. May 20, 2016 #40

D Hillberg

D Hillberg

D Hillberg

Now it went from Angel Flight to free flights....