Regulation Free Zone

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Status
Not open for further replies.

harrisonaero

Last week I was having breakfast with a local innovative aircraft designer and mentioned to him an idea I had- take a huge piece of private land (TX? NV?) and make it completely free of any and all air regulations. And make a national law that holds the owner of the land completely free of all liability.

You can fly drones, manned aircraft, rockets, anything you want as long as the vehicle stays within the boundary of the land which would be clearly marked on the sectional (and any aircraft entering the airspace would do so at their own risk).

I argue that this would foster aerospace innovation.

Thoughts?

Hot Wings

Grumpy Cynic
HBA Supporter
Log Member
I'd like to see it go the other way. Establish designated air corridors between the various publicly supported airports. Make that, and the area within a mile of an established city boundary, the only regulated space.*

We already have a precedent for this in the form of highways and trails in our national parks - stray from the designated path at your own risk.

* probably have to add some other areas such as military/critical habitat/national parks?

ScaleBirdsScott

So build any crazy plane and fly with no licenses in the free zone? Wanna take a few kid with no experience and have them dogfight in some jets?

And would that mean soon having many companies setup big launch facilities with big ol rockets going to orbit to bypass the FAA?

I mean cool. But unlikely.

Aerowerx

Came across an expression earlier today.

Can't remember exactly, but it was something like "To preserve freedom you must exercise restraint." In other words, if you have freedom to do what you want that does not mean that you can do anything. Or you will eventually loose that freedom.

Wanttaja

Maybe a few folks might have some fun, but it'll be all dead-end stuff.

Like it or not, new advances in aviation and space have to comply with the regulatory/legal environment. If you expect to ever market an idea, your concept will have to comply anyway.

It's like deciding to design a revolutionary new submarine. You can probably make a heck of a lot of advancements if you remove the requirement that the submarine be able to work in water, but I don't think they'd be worth much.

There are plenty of places around the world (I think the legal term is "****-hole Countries") where you can get exactly the kind of freedom you wish. No need to try to create a protected structure within the US.

Shoot, next time you're in a seaport, notice the official home ports of the freighters and oil ships. They all fly "flags of convenience." Those same places would probably be quite happy to set aside a few thousand acres for aviation experimentation, with the right payments made to people in the government.

Ron Wanttaja

pwood66889

"I argue that this would foster aerospace innovation.

Thoughts?"

Good luck, Joa. In NW FL, we have lots - they are called MOA's. Like Tyndall F. Now, iffn one launches outta KAAF and makes it out of the control zone towards the Gulf...

All the best, Percy

BBerson

HBA Supporter
No real need to be free of all regulation over unpopulated areas. Such as the right of way rules.
For me, only need to eliminate the requirement for the airworthiness certificate.

TFF

The government has plenty of those; they are called MOAs. :) In reality the rules are loose enough that the only way governments go is tighter. They really want to, bad. We are such a minority that it can be big points to a money maker to take it away. They would love to give you a chunk of land and make every non commercial flight only there. That way they can hand the rest to the commercial moneymakers. There are a few people who a rule might be too tight; not everyone gets a trophy. I know I don’t. The rules are fine as they are as every time they change, it’s worse to me.

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
Moderator Note: When we start getting to the long screeds about how unfair the rule of law might be and such (a deleted post), it's time to close the thread. This was a well-intentioned effort to stimulate talk about innovation in aviation, but it went off on the politics/defy the rules! tack instead.

Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.