• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Registration and Airworthyness

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Slade

Registration and Airworthiness

Could someone who's been through this walk me through the procedure?
Maybe we can build a thread of useful knowledge on this issue.
Here's what I think I know so far...

1. Obtain an N number reservation.
The FAA have added a nice utility for searching for available N numbers.
See http://162.58.35.241/acdatabase/acmain.htm

2. Get the N number assigned to your airplane. This requires a signed letter and affidavid of ownership. Next form 8050-1 (which form is not available on line) is required for registration. Aircraft Registry phone is 405-954-3116.

3. Contact the local FSDO. I did this, and they said I should contact the regional Manufacturers Inspection District Office (MIDO), who handle airworthiness inspection issues centrally, and farm them out to the FSDOs. The FSDO also said I should have been working with MIDO early on in the process so they could have arrange visits for the project as it progressed. Now they tell me!

4. Once they get an assignment from MIDO, the FSDO expect to respond within 30 days or so (at least down here in S. Florida). They want to see all the paperwork before they visit the project. The FSDO say you only need a DAR if you're making major changes to the design.

The saga continues.
Any input welcome.

Last edited:
Back