Registering “Plans Built” aircraft in Canada.

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

fusionfab

Hey everyone,
I have been trying to find these answers for a couple days on Transport Canada sites as well as general online searches with little to no luck.

I’ve only ever registered ultralight aircrafts that were built by the manufacturers and I only restored them. So they already came with previous registrations and had serial numbers. But if I’m to build a “plans built” aircraft next that doesn’t come with a serial number can it still be registered? I’m curious to know this for both Ultralight as well as Amateur Built Aircraft.

thanks in advance.

Ratterrier

For a basic ultralight it is very easy. Make sure it qualifies, then build it apply for a registration mark. (as the manufacturer you get to assign it a serial # 0001 is nice) Then you can register it. It is quite easy.
If you wish to legally carry passengers or build something that doesn't qualify as a basic ultra light it gets a lot more expensive and complicated. Before you start must send a letter of intent to MD-RA Inspection Service Welcome | Bienvenue - MD-RA Inspection Service, RM-AL Service d'inspection You will then need to have it inspected at certain points in the construction depending on build (box spar ect.) MD-RA is not Transport Canada. The inspections can be rather pricey depending where you live, repeat inspections can add up. The inspectors I think are volunteers, but not MD-RA itself. I just went through the process for Basic Ultralight last year and it was quite painless. Any other questions I will do my best to answer. There is a lot of miss information out there. Larry

Ratterrier

I forgot to mention, with Basic Ultralight there are no inspections and you don't have to tell anyone you are building it. Just build it and register. A lot of freedom but obviously it is imperative to find some trusted to look over ones shoulder. Things can be missed!

fusionfab

Thank you very much for the info, I checked out the website you attached and gave their office a call. I spoke to someone who was also able assist. I’m just now waiting for an inspector to get back to me.
As I mentioned, in the past, I’ve only ever registered Basic Ultralight. My avid heavy hauler I wanted to register as AULA but I think previously went down this path and was given some inspection quotes. Being to eager to fly it I just went ahead as basic.
But now I am deciding to either start a Bearhawk 4 place registering into amateur built or a larger ultralight to register into AULA.
But...If going ultralight again, I am considering taking a few different designs and combining them for a one-off design. But I’d rather know ahead of time if registering a Frankenstein is even possible.

thanks again.