Reference data for qty & types of Experimental aircraft flying?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

cattflight

I am trying to gather some data about current quantity of flying E-AB aircraft. Focusing on the 20-25 most popular kit built and plans built aircraft, and this number does not have to be pin-point accurate (+/- 10-15% is probably fine for my purposes as it's just for a light market analysis). I get Kitplanes magazine's annual EAB issue with the available model listings/profiles, and that does show qty flying, but is there someplace online I can find that?

Thanks.

fly2kads

HBA Supporter
I think the FAA registration database would be a good place to start. You can search by manufacturer and model, although you may have to get creative with your search terms. There isn't a standard way to register an EAB aircraft, so for example you'll often see the builder's name as part of the manufacturer field. If you do a few searches I think you can start to get a good picture of what the data looks like and how to structure your search.

http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/

Dave Prizio

A couple of things I woudl like to point out, all aircraft are registered before they fly, but at least some that get registered never make it to the runway. Also a good portion of at least some models are sold outside of the US. For instance, almost 25% of the completed GlaStars are registered in countries outside the US. I have no idea if this % is typical of other amateur built models.

Dave Prizio