Reduction drives

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Swampyankee

What I was trying to ask is:

If money is not an object, can a rugged dependable PSRU for something like an LS3 be designed and built in a reasonable amount of time?

I'm trying to learn if it's the technology or know-how that's the issue. I've read many times that PSRU development is "really hard".

But I'm trying to pin down, from the people here who seem to be in the know, if it's really that hard or if it's a question of money and payback.

Seems to be the latter.

"Bring money; we can do anything!": Unofficial motto of mechanical engineers everywhere.

Getting reduction gearboxes correct is quite difficult, more so with piston engine engines than turbines, as quite a few issues are due to the pulsations intrinsic to reciprocating pistons (these may not be as serious with Wankels). The housing has to be sufficiently rigid, cooling has to be provided, bearings sized, etc. Belts are probably, overall, easier than gears, which may have to be custom made (there are vendors which will hob, heat treat, and re-hob or grind gears for a fee...), but custom pulleys may still be needed.

sotaro

Supporting Member
The Honda 750cc four cylinder of 1969 had a primary drive (power take off) in between cylinders 2 and 3 right next to the cam drive sprocket and an alternator at one end of the crank. All sorts of places for power to be removed from the crank.

AdrianS

I've idly daydreamed about a v6 / v8 with a rear reduction case and a quill drive in the top of the v, under the inlet manifold.